Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwikoff99
Level 8

Roku Streaming Stick doesn't like mesh networks?

I have a wifi extender that I can use as either a mesh extender or a WAP with its own SSID. All works fine if I connect my Streaming Stick to it in WAP mode. But if I switch it to mesh, the Roku has major network connection issues. The Roku connects to the main wifi fine when the mesh is not on. I've gone through and verified all the settings that seem to apply, and all my other devices work fine when mesh is on. The Roku is the only thing having issues. Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Streaming Stick doesn't like mesh networks?

I wonder if when you switch to mesh mode, if the extender is changing its channel to one within the DFS range. If so, your Roku won't see any wireless signal using a DFS channel. I've never messed with a mesh network, so I don't know if you can control the channels used in that mode. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Streaming Stick+ devices work great on my Google WiFi mesh network. And on two other family members Google WiFi mesh networks.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

OS10 is supposed to have better specific support for mesh networks, especially for dual band devices (like the SS+) - if your SS+ doesnt have OS10 (mine did but rolled back), try checking for updates; otherwise you may have to be patient for it (OS10) to rollout to your devices, and hope for an improved connection.

In the meantime you'll have to continue to try and work around the issue as you have.

justindubin
Level 7

I've been dealing with the same issue and found a solution that works for me.

TLDR: Re-configure your wifi extender to only extend the 5 GHz band (Disable the 2.4 GHz band)

Full Solution: I believe the issue comes from the fact that my router (ARRIS BGW320) automatically assigns client devices to either the 2.4 GHz band or the 5 GHz band. I found my wifi extender (NETGEAR EX7300) will, by default, extend the range of both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. I believe this was causing interference on my Roku units and causing network drops and connection issues. Here is how I debugged the problem:

1. Remove wifi extender from network
  2. Log into my router using the IP address to see information on connected devices
  3. Observe that both Rokus are being auto-assigned by router to the 5 GHz band
  4. Connect wifi extender into network
  5. Log into the wifi extender using the IP address and disable 2.4 GHz extension (Leave 5 GHz as is)
  6. Reset network settings on all Roku units and re-join your network
jb3320
Level 7

There is not much being said about meshed networks. So in reading this post, Is the only way out to do a separate wifi extender that is configured to a standard , fixed ssid at 2.4 or 5.0? Which begs the question , why doesn't roku support meshed 802.11ax networks( a la WIFI 6)

PAtownie
Level 7

I can't get the streaming stick to work with my Google WiFi routers, either. Any chance that anyone has a how-to link?

0 Kudos
PAtownie
Level 7

re: Which begs the question , why doesn't roku support meshed 802.11ax networks( a la WIFI 6)

I agree. And Bluetooth. If they don't adapt to these newer technologies....

I assume they will, but meanwhile my I have an unusable player and streaming stick and cannot use my Bluetooth earbuds or wireless headphones, which I need to use because of hearing loss.

0 Kudos