Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwikoff99
Level 8

Roku Streaming Stick doesn't like mesh networks?

I have a wifi extender that I can use as either a mesh extender or a WAP with its own SSID. All works fine if I connect my Streaming Stick to it in WAP mode. But if I switch it to mesh, the Roku has major network connection issues. The Roku connects to the main wifi fine when the mesh is not on. I've gone through and verified all the settings that seem to apply, and all my other devices work fine when mesh is on. The Roku is the only thing having issues. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Roku Streaming Stick doesn't like mesh networks?

I wonder if when you switch to mesh mode, if the extender is changing its channel to one within the DFS range. If so, your Roku won't see any wireless signal using a DFS channel. I've never messed with a mesh network, so I don't know if you can control the channels used in that mode. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Streaming Stick+ devices work great on my Google WiFi mesh network. And on two other family members Google WiFi mesh networks.

DBDukes
https://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

OS10 is supposed to have better specific support for mesh networks, especially for dual band devices (like the SS+) - if your SS+ doesnt have OS10 (mine did but rolled back), try checking for updates; otherwise you may have to be patient for it (OS10) to rollout to your devices, and hope for an improved connection.

In the meantime you'll have to continue to try and work around the issue as you have.

0 Kudos