Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stick66
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick + and Samsung TV

I connected a Streaming Stick + to a Samsung TV.  It was working well, but now keeps dropping the wifi signal.  I thought the stick was bad so I bought a new one.  Same issue.  I connected the old stick to a different (not Samsung) TV and after it updated, it worked fine.  I again connected it to the Samsung and it is now working.  Why could I not update while connected to Samsung TV?  Why did it continue to drop signal...both old and new stick?  I had a different issue a year ago with the volume and the Samsung tech talked me through it.  Seems as Samsung does not play nice with the ROKU Stick +.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku Streaming Stick + and Samsung TV

My Streaming Stick+ is also in use on a Samsung, most likely a different model.  I have occasional loss of wifi connection, but have always been able to get it back via:

Settings > System > System restart
(Or for Roku TV: Settings > System > Power > System restart)

These things are just little special purpose computers. Like their big brothers sometimes you just need to clear things out by restarting them.

If a restart doesn't do it, try pulling the power plug to the device for a minute or so then plugging it back in.

Also, sometimes the tv itself can interfere with wifi reception with a stick plugged directly into the TV's HDMI port.   If there are other available HDMI ports you can try moving to one of them to see if it helps.  Roku also has a free HDMI extender available for Roku Sticks that can move your stick a few inches away from the port - you can order one here.  But it's nothing more than an HDMI extension cable with a male HDMI plug on one end and a female socket on the other.  If you don't want to wait for shipment from Roku you can probably find one locally in several different lengths.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
stick66
Level 7

Thanks for your reply.  Yeah, I tried many of your suggestions, even reset the device.  Still no go.  Connecting a brand new stick yielded the same issue.  Not until I connected to a different TV and run an update did it work.  I have it working on the samsung again, so let's see how long it lasts.  I did order the extender as well, as the other tv needs to have stand removed to plug in the stick.  

NAD

0 Kudos
Deegee23
Level 7

I believe the loss of the Wi-Fi connection is a Sony issue, not a tv issue. I have the same problem on my TCL Roku tv only on a pretty regular basis. I did speak to a Roku tech who told me it was their problem with no knowledge of when or if it would be corrected. I guess we are at their mercy to correct the problem.

0 Kudos
stick66
Level 7

Thx, but odd that two sticks (one brand new) had the issue on the Samsung, but both worked OK on another TV.  It is a constant loss of signal.  Stays connected for less than a minute.  Now that I updated the software on the stick using a different TV it seems to be OK.

NAD

0 Kudos