Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkutney
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick and Century Link Calix router connection problems

Like some other posts floating around on the internet, I am in an apartment with a ready-to-go Calix C844G router with 802.11ac and it will not connect to the Roku, it fails every time on the "Connect to Local Network" step. I wanted to see if there has been any resolution to this issue, and/or add to the chorus warning others to avoid the device if your internet setup is like mine.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Roku Streaming Stick and Century Link Calix router connection problems

I fixed my problem by going to the Routers website which mine was 192.168.0.1
1. I then went to advanced set up.

2. And selected DNS host mapping it will ask for a name and an IP address, you can choose anything for the name and for the IP address it might be the same it might be different but mine was 192.168.1.127.

3. Which I found by going in to the roku secret menu by pressing the Home button 5 times followed by fast forward, pause button, rewind, pause button, and finally fast forward.

4. From that screen I then selected system operations menu
5. followed by show static IP configuration.
The IP should come up right on that screen
0 Kudos
skabbes
Level 7

I was also having on the "local network" stage of the internet connection with the ready-to-go Calix (CenturyLink) router in my apartment building.  In order to solve it, I connected the Roku to another WiFi connection (in this case, I tethered it to my phone) in order to activate the Roku.  After a software update and a reboot, I was able to switch my preferred WiFi network to the Calix / Century Link one without any of the same problems as before.
0 Kudos

Finally figured this out from another thread, and since this is the first result in Google for Roku 014.40 and 014.50 with the Calix C844G I figured I should reply here for future people who have this problem: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=87020&start=15#p569214

1. Login into your routers admin menu by going to 192.168.0.1 in your browser
2. Click on "Advanced Setup"
3. Click "DHCP Settings" in the side bar
4. Click "Allow Special Characters" radio button
5. Click "Apply"

And now your router will accept the special plus sign in the device name "Roku Streaming Stick+" and it should all be good.

Really Roku should change their device names so that they don't have these special characters, so issues like this don't arise in the future as they are not following  RFC standards. There seems to be a lot of unsolved issues with Roku WiFi, and I imagine this would solve a fair number of them.
0 Kudos