Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BornWild
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick - Will connect to 2.4 but not 5ghz

My Roku Streaming Stick will connect to 2.4ghz but not 5ghz. The Stick detects the 5ghz network but won't connect while it will to the 2.4ghz network. Help?

4 Replies
Tinman98
Level 7

Re: Roku Streaming Stick - Will connect to 2.4 but not 5ghz

I do not know if Roku makes more than one model of streaming stick. The current one seems to be the Stick+. I have recently purchased two of them and they both recognize and connect to the 5G band. I had to return two less expensive models, the SE and Express+ because they would not recognize the 5G band. It would have been helpful if Roku had mentioned this in their descriptions and packaging.

If your model is the + model and you are sure you have plenty of signal (test in same room as the router), then return it and try another one.  It is probably defective.  It happens. More than we would like I'm sure. And confirm with another device that your 5G is actually active. (You can also log on with a browser to your router, but that is beyond the scope of discussion here.)

0 Kudos
tweety11
Level 7

@BornWild wrote:

My Roku Streaming Stick will connect to 2.4ghz but not 5ghz. The Stick detects the 5ghz network but won't connect while it will to the 2.4ghz network. Help?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Roku players with dual band WiFi radios have channel limitations on 5 GHz. They will not use the channels that are labeled DFS. These are channels numbered 49 up to 148. So you need to use a 5 GHz channel #48 or lower or 149 or higher. 

Also, if you have a different password on your 5 GHz radio, Roku will not connect if there are special characters in the password. So no #, $, %, or such characters. Upper and lower case letters, or numbers are all that can be in the password. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
16CARDS
Level 8

@atc98092 wrote:

Roku players with dual band WiFi radios have channel limitations on 5 GHz. They will not use the channels that are labeled DFS. These are channels numbered 49 up to 148. So you need to use a 5 GHz channel #48 or lower or 149 or higher. 

Also, if you have a different password on your 5 GHz radio, Roku will not connect if there are special characters in the password. So no #, $, %, or such characters. Upper and lower case letters, or numbers are all that can be in the password. 

That's interesting... I know about the DFS channel limitation, but I use the "@" in my password, and haven't had any issues.

One thing's for certain: Roku really made a mess of things with that last upgrade. My router is a Verizon G3100.

0 Kudos