Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_H1
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick+ WiFi & Remote connectivity

Hi,

I've thought this may help out anyone facing the same issue with a Roku Streaming Stick+ I've experienced.

Plugging the unit into an older (anything over 2 years could be considered old nowadays... :rollSmiley Happy Panasonic TV, it was working fine for about 9 months, but suddenly I could not get the Roku to connect to WiFi at all, whereas a second Roku stick was working absolutely fine on a near identical setup and distance to the router. Also, the remote control was behaving rather erratic, thinking that the batteries might be empty. Following all the usual suggested steps in the general FAQ and consulting various websites/suggestions, right down to a factory reset, nothing would get the unit's WiFi to work. Starting to contact Roku customer service, thinking the unit has gone faulty (it worked fine before), I've thought of swapping the Roku, WiFi cable part and remote with the second unit I've got (that was a pain to begin with, I didn't realise how these two parts and the remote work together). To my surprise, I've gotten the same result, no WiFi connectivity (it wouldn't find any network) and strange remote behaviour.

Totally stumped, I began to suspect the TV, but how? The port seems working fine and I can see the Roku screen just fine. Never the less, I've unplugged another HDMI connected component and an external HDD, switched off and unplugged the TV, to reset things. TV on (on standby), Roku back into the same port it was before, it worked!!! I believe the external HDD was draining too much power from the internal HDMI/USB hub, causing the Roku somehow a problem (HDD was connected with one of these power+data USB splitter cables).

Long story short, if you know your WiFi connection should be fine, got fresh batteries in your Roku remote and experience a similar issue of WiFi not connection/not seeing any networks with intermittent remote control functionality, may try the setup on another TV.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ WiFi & Remote connectivity

So, your Roku Stick+ was connected via the TV's USB and not via the included power supply? 
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Michael_H1
Level 7

Re: Roku Streaming Stick+ WiFi & Remote connectivity

No no, the Roku was connected as it should, with the external plug in power supply. That was one of my thoughts as well, an issue with the power supply, so I tried swapping that one too, to no avail. I really went through "the motions", before I concluded that the TV side was the root cause. The 3.5" media type HDD "can" be powered through the TV, using a single standard USB connection, but it wasn't working well, hence I've got a "splitter" cable for it, which allows to power it separately. It was working, but I guess in the long run it did cause a problem after all. - Won't be buying a Panasonic again anyway, their lack of "multimedia" apps/support led me to buy the Roku in the first place. Smiley Sad
0 Kudos