Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atwhit
Level 7

Roku Streaming Stick Model 3600 Unable to connect to internet

Issue:

Error code 009. Brand new Roku Streaming Stick model 3600 will reliably connect to local router(s) and respective LAN, but rarely (if ever) the actual internet. If successfully connected to internet, shortly thereafter connection to internet will fail and user will again be prompted to connect to a network. Device has been tested while powered via USB and wall-adapter with no change in outcome. Device has worked for short durations (portions of a day) and when working, video quality and responsiveness were acceptable at 720p and 1080p via Plex and Netflix.

Hardware:

• Roku Streaming Stick model 3600 (S/N: REDACTED)

• Roku Streaming Stick model 3600 (S/N: Unavailable at this time) This secondary device was used to ensure my single, first device wasn't the problem.

• Netgear R6220 (Primary router)

• Belkin N300 (Used to rule-out primary router being at fault)

• Samsung REDACTED Smart TV

Troubleshooting steps:

• Moved router closer to Roku. Failed to resolve issue. It isn't a question of router proximity, as I have a fairly constant signal strength.

• Switched between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Failed to resolve issue.

• Switched between multiple 802.11N channels. Failed to resolve issue. This was expected, as the area isn't highly residential and channels aren't congested.

• Factory reset Roku. Failed to resolve issue.

• Factory reset router(s). Failed to resolve issue.

• DNS IP change. Failed to resolve issue

1. Primary: REDACTED Secondary: REDACTED

1. Primary: REDACTED Secondary: REDACTED

1. Primary: 8.8.8.8 Secondary 8.8.4.4

• Contacted Roku support, case numbers REDACTED and REDACTED. Failed to resolve issue, instructed to contact my ISP.

• Contacted my ISP. Failed to resolve issue. They are blocking nothing and see no issues with my connections or network setup.

• Whitelisted Roku MAC Address. Failed to resolve issue. Note that I did not expect this to fix anything, as my Roku has no issues connecting to the LAN, only the internet.

Please note that all troubleshooting steps were performed with two different routers, and two different Roku Streaming Sticks, with the same result.
I'm pretty much out of ideas. I really need help with this, I purchased the device as a Christmas gift and am tired of it not working!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
atwhit
Level 7

Re: Roku Streaming Stick Model 3600 Unable to connect to internet

*bump*
0 Kudos
Boz
Level 8

Another suggestion might be to take both Roku Sticks to a friend or relative's house to try them using their TV/Router/Internet.  If they work at a different location, then you'll know the problem is your ISP or some issue with your specific setup.
0 Kudos
atwhit
Level 7

No other wireless devices on my network are having issues of any sort, only the Roku. I suppose I should include that I tried this setup with my phone's mobile hotspot, and it seemed to work for the short time it was connected. 
0 Kudos
Boz
Level 8

"atwhit" wrote:
No other wireless devices on my network are having issues of any sort, only the Roku. I suppose I should include that I tried this setup with my phone's mobile hotspot, and it seemed to work for the short time it was connected. 

That seems to make it some kind of problem with your home internet setup correctly interacting with your Roku Stick.  Since it happens using 2 different routers, that seems to make the issue your modem and/or internet provider.  I know I'm just pointing out the obvious and I'm sorry that this isn't really helping....
0 Kudos
atwhit
Level 7

"Boz" wrote:
That seems to make it some kind of problem with your home internet setup correctly interacting with your Roku Stick.  Since it happens using 2 different routers, that seems to make the issue your modem and/or internet provider.

I agree completely, but... everything seems above board. The only thing I can think of is the TV is causing something, but I have no idea how that could be.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

You could try using an HDMI cable and move the stick further away from the TV. There has been some reports of TVs causing interference and moving the stick further away resolved it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Leyla_Jones
Level 7

Same problem here.  Was working great until this weekend.  I've connected to neighbor's wifi, mine, and phone.  Now none of those work.  It goes through the process but won't reach the final green check for internet.  We've performed all the troubleshooting suggestions.  I don't get why it would work fine one day and not the next.
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

A week ago, I was getting the Roku message of no internet connection. The issue was the router. After rebooting the router, (unplugging the power) then I could access the internet with the 3600.

Today, April 11, 2018, I saw where there was an update uploaded to the 3600 (Ver. 8.0.0 Build 4184-24).
The issue I had today, was the 3600 was not responding well to the Roku remote. It was very sluggish, or no response at all. The remote I use has the TV volume function and that was working, so it wasn't the remote's battery. I tried doing a Roku menu settings restart, but after the restart it was still very sluggish or not responsive.

The solution was to unplug the power from the 3600. That hard reboot worked, and now the 3600 responds well to the remote.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos