Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Stopped Working. Showing "Low Power" Even When Plugged Into Outlet

I've had my Roku for about 1 1/2 years.  Suddenly, in the past two months, it's started returning to the home screen and showing a "Low Power" message.  When I came online to check what to do, the instructions are to plug the device into a power outlet.  I am getting this message when the device is plugged in (I have always had it plugged into an outlet.) . I have tried changing outlets, tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in, but the problem persists.  Does anyone have suggestions, or are you finding that one - two years is the life of this particular product.

16 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku Stopped Working. Showing "Low Power" Even When Plugged Into Outlet

No, two years is not an expected lifespan for the device. You didn't say what model Roku you have. My oldest Roku is the 2 XS, which was released 8 years ago. It still works, but it's useless because it's so old and lacking power. 

If it's possible to use a different wall adapter, I'd try that. Some Roku players use a USB connector between the wall adapter and the Roku, so you can easily try a different wall adapter. If instead it's a wall adapter with an attached cord, then you'd have to find a matching wall adapter to try, and that's something you're unlikely to have lying around. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted

I am having same issue with the Roku  stick 2017 model. It is now 1.5 years old and its started giving low power msg. The troubleshooting guide tells you to use the supplied cable and power adapter that came with the device. Does not say what to do when this low power msg comes up and you ARE using the Roku usb power cable and adapter that came with the Rocky stick. I have tried other measures and Msg comes up with any power supplied to it, be it usb from the tv, other usb power adapters and cables and combinations. This is obviously a Roku stick issue. If I don’t get a solution soon I’m trading it in on amazon for a fire stick. The two I have have been flawless for years. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Have you solved your issue? Same thing is happening to me.
Highlighted

After some diagnostics and measuring the power on the isb cable, found that over time, for some reason the longer usb cable drops the power necessary to run the stick and msg comes up. I went on amazon and ordered a high quality 3 ft cable and works perfect now with provided roku usb power adapter. Its been a few weeks now and no failures. Its a cheap fix. Hope this works for you as well.
Highlighted
Level 8

Could you share the link for the cable you got?
Highlighted

This is the one i got. Good luck!

RAMPOW Braided Micro-USB Cable [2-Pack 3.3ft] Android Charger Cable/Samsung Fast C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJC4WRO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ne13DbT63QNEE

0 Kudos
Highlighted

RAMPOW Braided Micro-USB Cable [2-Pack 3.3ft] Android Charger Cable/Samsung Fast C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GJC4WRO/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ne13DbT63QNEE
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thanks for your help!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you!  This reply helped a lot.  I think it is the cord.  

0 Kudos