Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Stopped Connecting to Mobile Hotspot

Jump to solution
Hello!

Very frustrating but about a month ago my Roku stopped connecting to my iPhone’s hotspot citing Error code: 14.40. I’ve called my service provider, my hot spot is fine (and it will connect to other devices), I’ve updated my password to be even simpler than it was before (it’s only ever had letters), my iPhone name is three letters (no spaces/characters), and I’ve rebooted everything more times than I can count. The Roku will recognize my hotspot, so I know it sees the network, but every time it starts to connect I get that error. I hate to give up, but I’m at the end of my rope (it’s my only tv) and hoping someone here has a solution or thinks it’s time to just get rid of the Roku?

Oh! And edit to add, I’ve only ever pulled up the Personal Hotspot section on my phone while connecting, and if all of this isn’t frustrating enough... my phone shows that my Roku IS connected to the hotspot. But the Roku just keeps giving me that error saying I can’t connect.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Stopped Connecting to Mobile Hotspot

Jump to solution

Perform both of these steps. On the phone, do a network reset. This will lose any stored WiFi passwords, but won't do anything else that effects its operation. On the Roku, also do a network reset. This removes all saved network settings. On the Roku, it's found on the Settings/System/Advanced system settings>Network connection reset menu.

Something has corrupted your settings on one or both devices. You could try just doing the network reset on the Roku first, but most people have reported success after doing both resets. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Perform both of these steps. On the phone, do a network reset. This will lose any stored WiFi passwords, but won't do anything else that effects its operation. On the Roku, also do a network reset. This removes all saved network settings. On the Roku, it's found on the Settings/System/Advanced system settings>Network connection reset menu.

Something has corrupted your settings on one or both devices. You could try just doing the network reset on the Roku first, but most people have reported success after doing both resets. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

@mabvt  Just wanted to check in here. Are you still experiencing this issue, or are you able to connect to your hotspot successfully now? 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had the same problem. I just followed your advise and reset the phone and the RokuS network settings. SUCCESS!!!! Thank you !

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank You So Muchhhhhh !!! I’ve Been Dealing With This Problem For A Week Now And It Totally Worked For Me Thank You 💕

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Did not work for me on TCL Roku tv 28S305, I tried numerous times. Wish I could figure it out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I tried it and it worked for exactly five minutes then the signal dropped, and I can't reconnect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

After trying many different things this was the only thing to work. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Won’t work for me either 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am still having an issue no matter what I do. Had one Roku tv and it connected to my hotspot bought another one used hisense 2016 model and it won’t connect to the hotspot no matter what reset methods I attempt. Could the tv just be broken?

0 Kudos