Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rowestu
Level 7

Roku Stick can't get past "Hotel or home" question

So I hooked up the stick to the hotel Wifi. It's fast wifi, but have to sign in with a browser kind of deal.  When it gets to the "We need help making the connection" -- it locks up and never ever responds again until I RESET IT.  It will never respond to the remote after I select that connection, no matter what (like remove power, plug in power, it just sits at the home screen and ignores my remote - have to reset and re-pair it).  What's up with that?  Is it waiting for something?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Roku Stick can't get past "Hotel or home" question

I used my Stick in a hotel yesterday, and had a lot of trouble getting it connected to the hotel network using my iPad as the browser. It kept leaving the info screen and trying to connect before I completed the browser authentication. When I switched to my Windows laptop, it connected first time. But I don't think I've ever encountered the issue as you describe it. Are you powering the Stick from a TV USB port, or using the wall adapter? Sometimes the TV USB port doesn't have sufficient power and using the wall adapter is necessary. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
rowestu
Level 7

Re: Roku Stick can't get past "Hotel or home" question

TV has no USB port (!).  Plugged into wall charger.  Works perfectly with hotspot from phone, I guess I'll just use that for a while.  I've never done the hotel thing, maybe I'm missing something on my PC of which I am not aware.  I'll go review the process.
0 Kudos