Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhadler
Level 8

Roku Stick+ Won't reconnect to internet or pair with remote

I'm away from home and brought my relatively new (September) Roku Streaming Stick+ with me, but the remote wasn't working. So I turned on the mobile hotspot on my phone and set the SSID to my old network, rebooted the ROku and it still would not connect, so I could pair the remote to it, nor could I connect a phone with the remote app. I tried this with the SSID settings for the last two networks the Roku had been connected to, rebooted it, and it would not connect to the wifi either time.  Since it was not connected to the wifi, I could not re-pair the remote to it to connect it to wifi manually. 

Is there any way to re-pair or otherwise prompt the Roku to "remember" the networks it has been on before? It seems I am stuck because i can't re-pair the remote or use a phone app without the stick connected to the Wi-FI, and it won't connect to the WIFI networks to which it's connected before. 

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Stick+ Won't reconnect to internet or pair with remote

Pairing a remote really has nothing to do with the Wi-Fi network.  The remote should pair (and must pair) with no Wi-Fi connection, so make sure you have good fresh batteries in the remote.

When you set up the hotspot I assume you also used the same password (you didn't mention that part).  Also, is the hotspot set to the same frequency band the stick is expection - 2.4GHz vs 5GHz?  I don't have a lot of experience with hotspots, but this is an interesting method, so I may have to give it a try myself to see what happens.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
jhadler
Level 8

Thanks.

On the need for a WiFi connection, I was going by what I saw in other threads, which said that to use the Roku app on a phone, the device needs to be on the same WiFi as the phone. (I was trying to use a phone as a remote, but it couldn't find the Roku because the Roku wouldn't connect to the WiFi.)

I've tried the SSID and passwords for the last two networks the Roku was on. I know both were correct because my laptop connected automatically to each. The Roku stick, however, will not connect. I've rebooted it, unplugged it 5 minutes, etc. It won't try to connect at all, and the remote's batteries are good (the light blinks when I try to pair it) and it won't pair either. So I now seem to have a relatively new Roku streaming stick+ that won't connect to WiFi and won't pair with its remote to allow me to set up a new Wifi connection.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Correct about the need for a Wi-Fi connection and the use of the app.

One of the things I don't like about the sticks is that if you're remote has a problem you're dead in the water if you're not connected to Wi-Fi.  This isn't one of the sticks with the Advanced Wireless Receiver, is it?  I think if it was and it was missing there would be some message on the screen about it, but I have seen reports of them going bad.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jhadler
Level 8

It's a Model 3810x

0 Kudos