Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pop06095
Reel Rookie

Roku Stick 3810X loses Wi-Fi when turned off

Jump to solution

I have the 3810X connected to a Samsung and I'm using an Orbi Wifi setup.  When I turn off the TV, the stick will disconnect from the network. When I turn things back on with the power button on the Roku remote, it connects back up fine.

This makes controlling it with Google impossible as it can't find the 4K Roku on the network when stuff is in a powered off state.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to prevent this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Stick 3810X loses Wi-Fi when turned off

Jump to solution

Two things:

1) Power the 3810 via the supplied AC power adapter, NOT with the TV's USB port.

2) The power button on the remote is for a programmed TV, NOT the 3810.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Two things:

1) Power the 3810 via the supplied AC power adapter, NOT with the TV's USB port.

2) The power button on the remote is for a programmed TV, NOT the 3810.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Pop06095-

If you disable "Settings > System > Power > Auto power savings"  it should prevent your Roku from going into a low power standby state in the first place.  The power savings are not that great and for the hassle it causes, I don't think it's worth having this feature activated.

Sorry, this does not apply for your Roku model - see later posts.

See @UserOfStreamers point 1.  The USB port on many tvs shuts down when you turn off the tv.  By powering directly from house power the Roku will maintain its wifi connection, plus you won't have to wait for it to boot up when you turn on your tv.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@makaiguy  I have a 3810. There is no power option like that. It’s only on some Ultras 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

My bad -- I failed to check my little used guest room 3810 before posting.  The 3810 did not receive the Settings > System > Power menu addition that was added to some newer devices in Roku 10.5.

But you're wrong that it was only added to some Ultra models.  It's there on my Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 (and presumably the Streaming Stick 4K 3820 since the only difference is supposed to be the inclusion of the Pro remote with the Plus).

When Roku 10.5 came out I requested a list from Roku of which models received the Settings > System > Power menu addition, but of course it never came.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@makaiguy  @Pop06095  Go into settings/network and disable the bandwidth saver. 

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@FastFurious

The new "Auto power savings" setting applies to all RTD131x SoC-based models (480x/394x/382x) using RokuOS 10.5 and newer.  (For you, that's the Ultra 2020, Ultra LT 2021, Express 4K, Express 4K+, Streaming Stick 4K, and Streaming Stick 4K+)

So, not "some Ultras" (just the 2020 Ultra and 2021 Ultra LT) or "only Ultras" (Express 4K/4K+ and Streaming Stick 4K/4K+ as well) as you previously stated.

Perhaps if you spent more time familiarizing yourself with specific facts & details of Roku hardware/software/apps/policies/support/etc instead of creating new accounts/posts/repeated authoritative incorrect claims as "fast and furious" as possible, you'd be better able to provide efficient accurate assistance to those that need it.

FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@UserOfStreamers  I have several new Roku devices and not one of them has that feature. My Roku TV has an option “reduce power mode after 4 hours”. But I’ve never seen any “auto power savings”. Just like not ever Roku has volume leveling. But yet Roku claims they do 

0 Kudos
Pop06095
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ya, the power issue is probably it. I got to see if I can find the power adapter that came with it.  Would any power supply with a USB port work?

Thanks!  

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Pop06095  So you have your Roku plugged into USB TV power? Where is the AC adapter your Roku came with? You should use the AC power adapter from Roku but if you have something similar then try that. 

https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-power-adaptor-with-extender-cable

0 Kudos