Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Briyon
Level 7

Roku Premiere will not connect to wireless

Jump to solution

I have a relatively new Roku Premiere (about 3 weeks old) that initially was set up and working fine. Now I cannot connect to my wireless. I tried all of the suggested remedies (e.g. restart, restarting router...). Nothing has worked. I have several other devices connected and working fine on this network. I even tried disconnecting some of the other devices to see if it was a bandwidth issue but the Roku would still not connect.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Premiere will not connect to wireless

Jump to solution

@Briyon The Roku Premiere (model 3920) is not compatible with 5GHz wireless networks and will not connect to that band. Roku Express and Premiere (model 3920/3921) devices are only capable of connecting to 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n networks. 

If you're running into performance issues, I might recommend trying to change the wireless broadcast channel for the 2.4GHz band on your wireless router to see if this improves performance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
36 Replies
Highlighted
Briyon
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was able to connect to my 2.4GHz network but the quality and speed is not nearly as good. I originally had it connected to my 5GHz network and now it won't connect to that network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Briyon The Roku Premiere (model 3920) is not compatible with 5GHz wireless networks and will not connect to that band. Roku Express and Premiere (model 3920/3921) devices are only capable of connecting to 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n networks. 

If you're running into performance issues, I might recommend trying to change the wireless broadcast channel for the 2.4GHz band on your wireless router to see if this improves performance. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
YOxEMCEE
Level 7

Brand New Roku Premiere no internet connections

Jump to solution
Brand new Roku Premiere. Has been connecting wirelessly but can’t connect to the internet. I’ve been trying for two days and even called Xfinity to help me out. Nothing. It’s been frustrating. I have other Roku devices in the house and they connect flawlessly. Has anyone had this issue? How do you solve this?!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Brand New Roku Premiere no internet connections

Jump to solution

Since other Roku devices are connecting without issue, that pretty much eliminates a problem with the network. Has your new player ever connected? Your description sounds like it might have originally. If so, go into the Settings/System/Advanced system settings and do a network connection reset and see if that clears the problem. 

If it's never connected, and you're still trying to set it up fresh, try resetting the device to factory and start over. You do that by finding the small hole with a recessed button. While powered on, hold that button in for 30 seconds or more. Not 29, regardless what is happening on the display. Hold it the entire 30 seconds. 

If it still won't connect, then most likely the device itself is defective. It happens. Go back to the place of purchase and exchange for another. I had a Roku TV that was defective out of the box. The replacement has been fine for years now. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
YOxEMCEE
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have done every trick in the book. YouTubed information, other google research, and called my internet provider. I work from home so me to try for two days straight is ridiculous. Of course tried to call customer service but tells me all information is on the community boards. Very frustrated. Tried a couple times earlier this morning. Still doesn’t work.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

Sorry, but you didn't answer my questions. Has it ever connected? Are you stuck in the initial setup? If you made it through setup, are you on the main Roku home screen?

Please attempt the factory reset that I mentioned above. Make sure you hold the button for a minimum of 30 seconds. If it still fails to connect to the network, then it's likely defective and no amount of tweaking will get it connected. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
YOxEMCEE
Level 7

Jump to solution
Sorry about that. No, is has never connected. Just tried Resetting again before replying to this post and still... Picking language and trying to get through my internet connecting. Doesn’t work on my phones hotspot or Xfinity hot spot either. Decided I will try to exchange it from Target. Thank you for your reply. I didn’t say it the first time.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

No problem. Yes, it does sound defective. Like I said, I had a defective Roku TV once. the replacement has worked fine for years. It was just a dud. It happens, unfortunately. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
YOxEMCEE
Level 7

Jump to solution
Bought another brand new one. Still having issue. Sigh.
0 Kudos