Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Premiere wifi connection issues

The Roku Premiere during setup doesn't show the actual name of the network but the default name of the wireless router. It will connect to the misnamed network and shows good wifi signal strength but the actual internet connection is unreliable and will often be too poor to stream. Meanwhile, an older generation Roku Stick I have picks up the network properly named and has no problems. I've mucked about in the setting and finally did a factory reset, but with no luck.

I've seen a lot of variation on this sort of connection issue but none of the previously posted takes are consistent with the older Stick working and the relatively new Premiere not. Anyone have any ideas.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku Premiere wifi connection issues

That not showing the "actual name of the network" is puzzling.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is that the Premiere only has single band wifi so it can only see and connect to 2.4 GHz networks.  Could it be that you have a dual band router and no custom network name (SSID) has ever been applied to the 2.4 GHz band, but a custom network name has been applied to the 5 GHz band?  And if so, are your other Rokus connecting to the 5 GHz band?

The 2.4 GHz band tends to be much more crowded, not only with your own 2.4 GHz devices but with interference from neighbors' set ups.  You may be able to improve performance by configuring your router to use a less crowded channel for its 2.4 GHz band.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The band issue seemed a likely issue to me as well. But my older Roku Stick connects and streams without an issue and as far as I'm aware it also is limited to 2.4GHz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Every stick model ever produced, starting in 2012, has had dual band wifi.

However, I may have misspoken about the Premier, depending on which model you have. According to this chart ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison ), the Premier (4620) and Premier + (4630) were initially released in 2016 and both had dual band wifi. The next release was in 2018 with the Premier (3920) and Premier + (3921) but they only had single band wifi to try to keep it a budget entry to the product line.

You can check your model number via Settings > System > About

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That certainly solves the mystery of why the stick worked and the Premiere did not. I went back into my wireless settings and discovered that when if first got set up both bands were given the same name. I renamed them, connected everything in the house except the Premiere to the 5.0 ghz band and now everything is up and running. The Premiere is even displaying the proper wireless ID.

Thanks for the assist.

0 Kudos