Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrWitty13
Level 7

Roku Premiere loses connection when checking network connection - no access to router

I live on a college campus and do not have access to “reset the router”. In our apartment we have two Roku Premiere (3920X) devices that regularly (easily 2 times a day, as many as 6) lose connection to our wireless network and the only solution is to restart the roku. This gets annoying, but it pretty much always is connected after that. If at any time, while it is connected to WiFi, I select “Check Network Status” it will lose connection and I cannot reconnect unless I restart the device. My university isn’t being helpful and Roku doesn’t provide agent support for this issue/product combination, so here I am. 

I've tried: Advanced settings to reset network, Unregistering the roku from our campus network then re-registering, unplugging for 10 minutes.

any other solutions? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere loses connection when checking network connection - no access to router

Unfortunately, your Roku Premieres may simply be losing connection due to network congestion and interference from all the other devices connecting to the wireless network. (other students).  Not the best antennas/chips in these little devices so can lose signal somewhat easily without a stable connection.

The ideal solution really is to use an ethernet capable device like the Ultra or Streambars or the new Express 4ks (but you have to purchase extra 10/100 ethernet adapter with the Express 4ks) if you have the budget and access to ethernet capability. (ethernet jack in the wall.)

Without access to the router to try changing/optimizing network settings, you really are left with moving the Premiere unit itself around (left to right, up or down) regarding location to see if you can get a better signal.  Sometimes a router does not being "pinged" repeatedly depending on security settings of the router.  You can try disabling the pings of your Roku Premiere.  Using the Roku remote, press Home 5x, FF, Play, Rewind, Play, FF. Then Select Systems Operation Menu...Network Menu...then Disable Network Pings.   Press Home when Done.

If neither of these things help to improve the stability of the wireless connection, you are probably left with the Restarting procedure you have been doing unless ethernet is a viable option for you.  Post back with updates or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

DrWitty13
Level 7

Re: Roku Premiere loses connection when checking network connection - no access to router

I will try the disable network pings - what is the purpose/benefit of having network pings enabled?

I don’t think it’s congestion since it is summer and campus is nearly empty and because if I select “check network connection” it loses the connection every time and won’t even let me manually reconnect (I have to restart the roku). Because that aspect is repeatable, I suspect it’s not just random congestion or interference on the network. 

thanks for the idea to try!

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

in simple terms, it is basically just an inquiry/check from a device (Roku) that the IP host (router/access point) is available for connection.  For the most part part, pinging is normal network check.  Most routers can be configured to block pings for security reasons or to save network resources since some pings are not always from legitimate actors. Basically, if a "ping" is not "answered", the device assumes not present and therefore either cannot connect or maintain an automatic network check connection.  Conversely, if a router is configured to ignore pings or have security settings in place re: acceptable ping requests, the connection may be terminated/closed.  By disabling Roku pings, you are just disabling this automatic check.

Need to keep in mind that the interference or congestion mentioned above is native to the 2.4ghz network band frequencies. Basically most household appliances(microwaves, phones, etc) and just about all smart devices (security cameras, thermostats, doorbells,etc) use the same allocated frequencies of the 2.4ghz band.  Not all devices have to be wireless or connected to the network to cause this interference/congestion (they are merely using these frequencies and sometimes amplifying) which, in turn, affects the wireless network.  That's why you have to sometimes move the wireless device (Roku) closer or further from the router or away from an offending device (cordless phone station, kitchen appliance) that may be causing network interference. 

Additionally, I do think there may be a little problem with the "check network connection" feature since the OS10 update.  Seems to misreport speed and connection availability.  I am assuming/hoping will be addressed with later build updates.  I can run it repeatedly and get different results each time ranging from poor to good.  Again though, the router that is responding to this "check network connection" feature may not like being probed with this test and is disconnecting you as a security fail-safe, thus requiring you to restart the Roku to reestablish your connection/handshake with the network.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

0 Kudos