Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kayabno10
Level 7

Roku Premiere can't find wi-fi

We have had a Roku Premiere since December 2020. It has worked with no problems at all for four months. Now, out of nowhere, it simply cannot find our home wi-fi network. Everything else in the house can still find and connect to our home wi-fi network with no problems. But the Roku cannot.

For a day or two, if I restarted our router and restarted the Roku at the same time, then the Roku would find our wi-fi again as it restarted. But the next time we went to use it, it then could not find the wi-fi again. And lately, even restarting makes no difference. We have tried restarting, have tried factory reset. Everything.

The Roku Premiere is only a few inches away from the router, in the same position it has always been. Nothing has changed with our internet connection. All other devices can still find our wi-fi, including our old Roku LT device which we replaced with the Roku Premiere in December. When we plugged the old Roku LT in, it finds our wi-fi with no problem. But the Roku Premiere shows up a list of every other wi-fi network in our neighbourhood, but not ours. It is baffling and frustrating and the Roku Premiere is now unusable. The troubleshooting page for wireless connections on the Roku site has no helpful tips for our problem. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Premiere can't find wi-fi

@kayabno10

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
kayabno10
Level 7

Thank you for your reply, @RokuDanny-R . I have been through all the suggestions on the troubleshooting page, but to no avail.

To take your questions in turn:

- Yes, the router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz network

- My router allows me to change the 2.4GHz setting between 'Mixed 802.11b/g/n' and 'Mixed 802.11b/g' (it is set to the b/g/n option) and to change it between '20MHz' and '20/40MHz' (it is set to '20MHz'). It does not provide any option to change channels

- The Roku Premiere is only a few inches away from the router, they are so close that they are almost touching. I have tried the Roku Premiere in a few locations, but it does not pick up our wi-fi in any position

- The problem began a week ago (at around the time of an April 8th update). Our old Roku LT device is able to detect our wi-fi network with no problems, as can all other devices (laptops, tablets, phones) in our house.

The serial number of the device is YH001W399641. Software version is 9.4.0 and build number is 4210-91. Model is a 3920EU - Roku Premiere.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I said, it has worked with no problems at all since we got it four months ago at Christmas time. Now it shows up a long list of our neighbours' wifi networks but not ours, even though our old Roku LT can find ours.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi,

Thanks for providing me with your information.

I have passed along your information to our Support team. They will follow up and assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
laz_2021
Level 7

Hi

Did anything get resolved with this?

I'm having the same sort of issue.

I have a 3930X + 3920X, bizzarely in the evening the 3930X stops working and can't find a my network, but all the neighbouring networks around. When you comeback to it in the morning it picks up a my network without an issue.

The 3920X works without an issue

0 Kudos
laz_2021
Level 7

Update to post

In the bedroom where my device stopped working, we installed a new Tado smart radiator valve the 1day it stopped working.

Turning my heating off, it works fine. Could there be some sort of interference??!!

Do i choose heating or TV?

0 Kudos