Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kys4219
Level 7

Roku Premiere - WiFi Signal Strength and Bandwidth Speed

I purchased a Roku Premiere roughly 2 months ago. From day 1 the bandwidth and signal strength have been poor.

Reading through the community posts I do not see any feedback from Roku support which leads me to any further troubleshooting steps.

Here is are the steps I have taken thus far:

• Reduce distance: The device is roughly 20 foot away from the router.

• Eliminate obstructions: There is a small section of wall, about 10 foot, between the router and the device. An opening on both ends of the wall. There router sits on a cabinet between these two openings.

• Adjust router antennas: I have purchased and installed more powerful antennas on the router. I received stronger signal strength in other areas of the house which are much further away from the router than is the Roku device.

• Try an elevated location: This is not an option.

• Move away from the TV: The Roku has been tested on both sides of the flat screen TV and the room directly above with zero improvement.

• Signal strength bounces between 6 and 27 and between 3 and 8 Mbps speed. Nothing else on my network performs this poorly.
  • Use Ethernet: Not an option with my model.

• Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router: Yes.’

• How long have you been experiencing this problem? From the date of purchase (a 2 maybe 3 months ago).

Read the following Articles on the Community page.

• Wireless Network Troubleshooting Help

• Extremely Poor Wifi Speed - Excellent Signal - Roku Only – Dated 01-29-2020

• “I have tested using a laptop, a phone, and a tablet all on the exact same wifi AP right where the roku is. They are all able to pull in excellent signal strength, and 60Mbps+ speeds.” I Concur.

• Requesting a response from Roku Support specifically as there is not a option to submit a ticket via Email for this product.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Roku Premiere - WiFi Signal Strength and Bandwidth Speed

@Kys4219 wrote:
    • Signal strength bounces between 6 and 27 and between 3 and 8 Mbps speed. Nothing else on my network performs this poorly.

How do you determine your signal strength and download speeds?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos