Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thw0rted
Level 8

Re: Roku Premiere - Internet Network Troubleshooting

Jump to solution

I'm glad to see somebody else having issues with the new Premiere.  I bought one yesterday on sale, not realizing it's the Roku Premiere (3920 series) instead of the older, better one.  I have two Streaming Sticks (both Roku Streaming Stick (3800 series) ) and they reliably get 30-40 Mbps in the Settings menu connection test.  The same test with the Premiere won't get over 6-7 Mbps.  (The result page says my wireless signal is "Excellent," but other devices on the same 2.4Ghz band can get 50Mbps+ in speed tests.)

Maybe my router just handles 802.11n clients particularly poorly -- who the **bleep** doesn't ship with 802.11ac in 2020? -- but I think this one has to go back to the shop.  This was the wrong corner to cut, Roku.

ETA: just remembered that one of the 3800s is on a 720p TV, so I can swap the Premiere with that and maybe it will just about keep up.  I can't begin to imagine how they'd dare to put a "4K" label on this thing, though.

0 Kudos
dcmille290
Level 7

Jump to solution

All I know is that there is a problem with the Premiere. At first, several months worked great in the same room as the router always had excellent signal strength. Not for the last several weeks. It barely shows any signal. Move it closer or farther away makes no matter. Every other device in the house shows an excellent signal. Even with laptops moved to another room shows better signal. Sometimes, the list doesn't even show my network!!

Reset, restart and reboot are not going to fix this issue. Someone at Roku knows what the issue is and what it will take to fix it.

DC Miller

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@dcmille290

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos