Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku Premier won't connect to WiFi Extender

I have a Roku Premier and a Victony Wifi Range Extender. My Roku works fine when connecting to the Netgear router but won't connect to the Victony extender. Is this a known issue? I'm using the 2.4ghz channel, not the 5G. Thanks 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 10

Re: Roku Premier won't connect to WiFi Extender

Ensure that it is not broadcasting the SSID on a DFS channel, which the Roku cannot see...

My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
AT&T Internet (1024 Mbps / 1024 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime; HBO Max
0 Kudos
Level 7

Thanks. It can actually detect the ssid, it just won't connect. 

0 Kudos
Level 19

@mrjlturner wrote:

Ensure that it is not broadcasting the SSID on a DFS channel, which the Roku cannot see...

DFS channels are in the 5 GHz band.  OP says is using 2.4 GHz band.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Level 8

I'm having the same problem with my Express+.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am having the same problem connecting my Roku premier to my Netgear Wi-Fi mesh extender, AC 1750 dual band - I am confident The next year is working properly because I can use my Sonos app on my phone from anywhere inside the house or outside the house… My Roku premier is the only thing that is not syncing with the mesh extender.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Are there any special characters in your SSID? I think I remember seeing another thread where the Roku wasn't able to connect to an SSID with a special character in it... 

My ROKU Info:
AT&T Internet (1024 Mbps / 1024 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime; HBO Max
0 Kudos
Level 9

I plugged their WI-FI Extender into my one Roku stick.  Result?  No connection to Roku at all.  

The purpose of the Extender is to lessen the amount of heat the stick absorbs from its male HDMI end.  The simple solution would be to have a heat-absorbing "ring" at the back end of the HDMI plug.  Or, design the stick so its circuitry has space between it and the HDMI plug.  

But, Roku is too CHEAP to spend 10 cents, even 25 cents to the cost of each stick.  So, instead they provide you with an extremely deficient design, and an extender that causes more problems than it solves.  This is beyond pathetic, and speaks volumes on a company that is making a fortune (look at its stock price spike like mad).  And, to top this, they have NO phone in support, using COVID as an excuse, when other companies have people answering phone calls from working at home.  

What impression does this give of the company?  An extremely bad, cheap, and pathetic one.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I have the same one and i can’t get it to connect, that was the reason why i got the extender. Did you make yours to work?

0 Kudos
Level 8

No. I got a better modem, instead.

0 Kudos