Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boricua3205
Binge Watcher

Roku Mirroring and Eero Wired Connectivity issue

So once Roku updated a month ago I was able to mirror once again after what felt like an eternity.  I swirched to an Eero mesh router and I’m back to square one.  Not only that, any failed connection attempts disconnects my wifi internet access.  I have to literally forget the wifi connection and reconnect.  This only happens when I try casting to the Roku!

I have already reset my Roku, reconfigured network connection, reset network connections on Windows 10, etc….

0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Mirroring and Eero Wired Connectivity issue

Mirroring=remote display entire screen, Casting=remote control single app

Not clear what "disconnects my WiFi access" refers to - the Roku? Phone/Tablet? All WiFi devices?

You also didn't mention your Roku model # or firmware version (Settings/System/About)

Otherwise:

1) Verify screen mirroring of Roku is configured/working properly:

A) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring mode=Prompt

B) Settings/System/Screen mirroring/Screen mirroring devices/Always blocked=none

C) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Device connect=Enabled

D) Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by movile devices=Default

E) Test with another/Android Miracast-capable device

F) Always select "Always allow" when prompted by the Roku

Try:

1) Disable/re-enable WiFi connection of phone/tablet/PC - try again

2) Restart Roku/phone/tablet/PC/modem/router/gateway - try again

3) Switch Roku and/or phone/tablet/PC to 2.4Ghz SSID or 5Ghz SSID - try again

4) Delete all devices under Always Allow - try again

If the change of your wireless network hardware/software resulted in the dysfunctionality/failure, that should be the primary focus of your troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
boricua3205
Binge Watcher

What I mean happens is that it will not connect to the Roku device to mirror and then I loose internet access on my laptop, I have to forget the Wifi connection and reconnect.  Only happens when I try to mirror to the Roku.

I have a 4630X Premiere+
I have done everything you suggested to no avail.  I can't believe that I'm the only one with this issue on Eero mesh.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You still havent mentioned the firmware version+build of your Roku (it matters:  Settings/System about) or the Windows version+build of your laptop, or even more details of what you have tried:  "ive done everthing...to no avail" (that isnt remotely...pun intended..specific enough)

Is the attempted mirroring device your laptop (OS version+build etc unknown) that then loses its connection?  If so, I would troubleshoot the laptop (firmware+video adapter drivers+network adapter drivers+windows update).

If you have an Android device, you can narrow down the issues by Miracast-ing to your Roku:  if it successfully connects and mirrors, the problem point isnt your modem/router/gateway or your Roku - its your laptop.

Without you taking such troubleshooting steps or being specific in any way with with your device details or what you've tried, its difficult to assist/help further.

0 Kudos
boricua3205
Binge Watcher

Thanks for the reply, when I said I did everything it was everything you suggested.  I have Windows 10 Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041.

Roku is 4630X Premiere +, 10.0.0, build 4209-29

I can connect fine from an eternet connected device with no problem.

Also not firewall related as I have disabled firewall, just extremely weird that any attempt to connect will interrupt my laptops wifi connection.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Not sure what you mean when you say "i can connect fine from an ethernet connected device" - connect from what device, to what device, for what purpose/using what protocol?

Have you tested your Roku's Miracast receiving with another/Android device?

Have you Miracast'ed your W10 laptop to another device to see if it behaves the same way?

It sounds like your laptop's WLAN hardware/driver is limited/broken - part of the WiFi Direct/Miracast spec requires non-interrupted continuing WiFi access for those devices connected that way.

I would update (or otherwise configure advanced settings for) the WiFi NIC driver and your Graphics Adapter driver for your W10 laptop and see if the behavior continues.

0 Kudos
boricua3205
Binge Watcher

An Ethernet connected device means a computer directly connected to eero router with Ethernet cable casting to the same Roku device

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@boricua3205 wrote:

An Ethernet connected device means a computer directly connected to eero router with Ethernet cable casting to the same Roku device

You didnt answer either question about testing your Roku/Laptops Miracast capability

You keep saying "cast to the same Roku device" - do you mean Miracast-mirroring to the Roku?

Casting=remote control within app (using DIAL), Mirroring=remote display entire screen

Miracast requires 2.4Ghz WiFi for at least the initial discovery phase, even if infrastructure mode is later used (not that Roku supports that).

If you are suggesting that a Win10 laptop connected wired to the router/gateway doesnt lose its internet connection when attempting to Miracast, but a Win10 laptop connected wirelessly does lose its internet connection when attempting to Miracast, that suggests heavily a wireless hardware/driver limitation/issue for the Win10 laptop, as previously noted.

0 Kudos
boricua3205
Binge Watcher

So I completely rest my Roku, same issue.  I tested from my desktop PC, same issue.  Tested with cell and Xfinity hotspots, same issue.  That at least takes eero out of the picture.  Reset winsock on the laptop, still no dice.  I noticed the MS Wi-Fi Direcrpt Virtual adapter, uninstalled two instances on the desktop PC, rebooted and now it connects.  Laptop showed six instances of the Virtual Adapter, uninstalled them all and rebooted.  No dice… and yes the Virtual adapter did get reinstalled.  I also ran Windows Update.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@boricua3205 wrote:

So I completely rest my Roku, same issue.  I tested from my desktop PC, same issue.  Tested with cell and Xfinity hotspots, same issue.  That at least takes eero out of the picture.  Reset winsock on the laptop, still no dice.  I noticed the MS Wi-Fi Direcrpt Virtual adapter, uninstalled two instances on the desktop PC, rebooted and now it connects.  Laptop showed six instances of the Virtual Adapter, uninstalled them all and rebooted.  No dice… and yes the Virtual adapter did get reinstalled.  I also ran Windows Update.

As I previously stated, its as Win10 issue on your laptop - you'll want to use those support resources.

In short, verify Miracast support with DXDIAG, update (or sometimes downgrade) your graphics adapter and wireless NC drivers.

0 Kudos