Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HugoStiglitz
Level 8

Roku Media player will not rescan dlna server to show added contents

I've always had this issue but now it's really annoying me. I have a hard drive plugged into my router which hosts a DLNA server i can access from multiple devices

I had to reformat the HDD after I got a new router, and to make sure it was the right format before copying everything, I just loaded a few movies on it and used my roku TV to test it.

Well, after loading the rest of the movies onto it, my roku tv WILL NOT rescan the media list and show everything that was added.

If I connect to the server on any other device, they show all the files I added.

Also, these are all files this TV has previously played so file format isn't an issue either

The roku TV simply refuses to rescan the server to find new media files and keeps pretending like nothing has changed

I even tried rescanning in the routers setting and renamed the server as well hoping a new name would force the stupid roku TV to rescan its contents but no dice.

I had the same issue with my old router too with this Roku TV and my roommates vizio. Both refuse to rescan the **bleep** server

Anyone got a trick to fixing this BS? Theres no **bleep** reason roku's media player shouldn't scan the media folder, or AT LEAST give us the option to manually
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
HugoStiglitz
Level 8

Re: Media player will not rescan dlna server to show added contents

Wow so the word dam with an extra n at the end is censored. That's sad. The Hoover d word is too much apparently
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku Media player will not rescan dlna server to show added contents

I don't believe it's the Roku. I use a DLNA server and if I exit RMP and restart it the list is always reloaded with the latest info. Since I have two DLNA servers on my network I can even back out of one, move to the other, then return to the first one and again the data is reloaded.

RMP does not maintain any local information from your DLNA server. It doesn't have any memory for that. It only lists what the DLNA server sends, assuming it is playable media. So unfortunately, your issue is the DLNA server software running on your router. I personally have never used a router based DLNA server because they don't have the power to transcode video, especially 4K material. And Roku has such limited codec support some sort of transcoding is almost always necessary with my media, even if it's just the audio. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
HugoStiglitz
Level 8

Thanks for the info.

This is the same type of dlna server I was running before and i was able to watch 4k HDR content on rmp many times but for some reason I have issues specifically with TVs being able to detect the content of the server. Devices with kodi installed work fine and windows media player has no trouble either so I thought it was the TVs fault.

I'll have to see what I can do with the router to make it show content even on tvs.

I did a couple of things and now rmp is detecting everything except my 4k hdr movies which is odd because I've only ever watched them with rmp. They definitely are supported by the router and the TV but something is going wrong.

Also rmp has no issues detecting the same movie files that are on my laptop, I just prefer using the hdd as a media server because the laptop not only needs to be on but I also constantly have to reenable windows media server which is annoying. No way for it to just stay on.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The one thing that RMP does is not display media it doesn't think it can play. So if media that you know will play does't show, it's the DLNA server not presenting it accurately. If it was something that used to be displayed and now does not, my guess is an update of the DLNA server software might have changed something. I would have to see the media info of a file that doesn't display to know for sure why RMP might not display it. I can say that RMP sees all of my UHD BD movies I've ripped to my server. My DLNA server is only transcoding the audio, since no Roku device supports the lossless audio codecs. In fact, that might be your issue. Unsupported audio tracks, so it doesn't display. The only fix for that is to either remux your media with a Dolby Digital track as default or use a DLNA server that can transcode the audio. Almost no router-based DLNA servers have the power to transcode. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos