Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZoeMays21

How to find Roku IP address without remote or WiFi

Jump to solution

My roku remote is lost and I recently returned home from school. My roku is not connected to my home wifi and I cannot connect it with no remote and no wifi . How can I retrieve my IP Address with out these things, do I need to by a new remote?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How to find Roku IP address without remote or WiFi

Jump to solution

Without a network connection, your Roku doesn't have an IP address. They are dynamically assigned by your router to devices that connect to your network. You can't enter a static IP in a Roku device. 

And if you can't connect your Roku to a network without a remote, there's no way to control it. If you have a Roku Stick, you have to have a Roku remote, no other option exists. If it's a standard Roku player, they all support IR, so you could get an inexpensive generic remote from many stores. Just make sure it lists Roku as a supported device, as they all have specific IR codes they use. 

If it's a Roku that you can connect with a wired network connection, then you could use a Roku app on a smart phone or tablet. After you connect the Ethernet cable, it will auto-connect to the network and you should see it on the app. 

Other helpful resources:

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
atc98092

Re: How to find Roku IP address without remote or WiFi

Jump to solution

Without a network connection, your Roku doesn't have an IP address. They are dynamically assigned by your router to devices that connect to your network. You can't enter a static IP in a Roku device. 

And if you can't connect your Roku to a network without a remote, there's no way to control it. If you have a Roku Stick, you have to have a Roku remote, no other option exists. If it's a standard Roku player, they all support IR, so you could get an inexpensive generic remote from many stores. Just make sure it lists Roku as a supported device, as they all have specific IR codes they use. 

If it's a Roku that you can connect with a wired network connection, then you could use a Roku app on a smart phone or tablet. After you connect the Ethernet cable, it will auto-connect to the network and you should see it on the app. 

Other helpful resources:

Dan

makaiguy

Re: Roku IP Address

Jump to solution
If you have a Roku that responds to infrared remote commands (i.e. any Roku model other than a stick) you can use any inexpensive universal remote that includes Roku codes.
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
jbertmcc

Jump to solution

There is a way to "Force" a fixed "static" IP on some Routers... via a trick.  If your router allows setting a "Range" of DHCP IP numbers, and provides a "Reserve IP" type function, then you can set the range to a small window of numbers.  Next unplug your Roku from it's power source... wait about a minute then plug it back in.  Roku will request a new IP from DHCP, and the router will assign one from the "range" previously set.  Folllowing that, use the router's "Reserve IP" function to reserve the DHCP allocated IP address for your Roku.  From then on the Roku essentially has a "static" IP address.

IP address

Jump to solution

I have a network connection to my Roku TV, but cannot find your IP address. Where would I

locate it?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Re: IP address

Jump to solution

@hollyjorose wrote:

I have a network connection to my Roku TV, but cannot find your IP address. Where would I locate it?

You can see what the IP address is by looking at the Settings/Network menu. But if you're attempting to use the Roku app on a phone or tablet, the app will find the Roku automatically is the app is connected to the same network and there's no security settings enabled on the wireless router that blocks connected devices from seeing each other. 

Dan

timothy9

Jump to solution

How to connect a Roku Express without remote

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@timothy9 

It is impossible to connect any Roku to a WiFi access point without a remote. However, the Express supports IR remotes, and you can find universal IR remotes for less than $10 almost anywhere that sells any sort of electronics. Just make sure they list Roku players as a supported device in their list.

Dan

0 Kudos
orligal

Jump to solution

If  you have a smart phone, like an iPhone, you can download the Roku app and use that to manage your Roku. It includes Remote control capability within the app.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@orligal, that advice is of no use if the Roku isn't already connected to the network.

I am not a Roku employee.