Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shakedowntweet
Reel Rookie

Roku Express+ won’t connect

Jump to solution

Roku Express+ was working and connected for 1 year. Spent that year singing its praises. Hasn’t been used for 3 months and all of a sudden won’t connect. Internet connection and wifi network works fine for all other connected devices. Roku sees the network but can not make the connection. I’ve restarted router, modem, roku etc in every combination conceivable. I’ve done the factory reset. I’ve tried connecting the roku to 2 other neighbors wifi networks and 1 hotspot wifi networks. I have no idea what happened, but the roku simply won’t connect. Is there a warranty on these things? Feel like the device is messed up all of a sudden.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express+ won’t connect

Jump to solution

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router that changed the router's connection parameters from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from g/n wifi back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Your problem may have been caused by a recent update to your router that changed the router's connection parameters from b/g/n to g/n. This has been reported lately with equipment from Comcast/Xfinity and Cox, but there may be others.

Affected users report the Roku identifies the local network as available and rates the connection quality, but will not then connect. The fix is to switch the router configuration protocols from g/n wifi back to b/g/n. If you don't have access to your router's control panel you may have to have your internet provider do it for you.

Step-by-step post from @AvsGunnar for Comcast/Xfinity users:
https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-014-30-stuck-for-three-days/m...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Shakedowntweet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you! I was able to get the device to work again by downloading the xfinity app and altering these wifi settings. 

0 Kudos
tmercer2

Jump to solution

I had this same issue. I am using a TP-Link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router. For some reason I had TWT (Target Wake Time allows 802.11ax routers and clients to negotiate their periods to transmit and receive data packets) turned off. I turned this on and oddly, the Roku Express took off and connected to the Network. I am suspicious of the latest updates in ROKU firmware.  

#ROKUEXPRESS

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@tmercer2 

You probably need to contact your ISP.

I’m tagging @Hector-Roku, so that he can help you more about this issue.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X