Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MPreslar42
Level 7

Roku Express won't connect to network after downloading software update

We bought a new Roku Express and started going through the setup the other day. It connected to the WiFi and started downloading a software update, then restarted the device. Then, when the device started back up, it took a very, very long time to get to the opening screen again and it was acting like we hadn't set up anything yet. It started over at selecting a language and asking for the WiFi password, though this time the WiFi password was filled in (though masked). We clicked through to re-connect and...

NOTHING.

It didn't re-connect to the WiFi. EVER AGAIN!

We thought, "Maybe the WiFi router is acting up. It does that sometimes..." So we re-started the router and tried again... NOPE.

At that point, we got frustrated and left the new purchase for another day...

Several days later, we decided to move it to a TV closer to the WiFi router, just in case it was a problem with the WiFi not reaching the far end of the house well enough. It never connected to the router there either, so we decided it must be defective and returned it to BestBuy. They took it back in exchange and we brought our new one home to try again.

We hooked it up, selected our language, and filled in the WiFi password. It connected to the WiFi very quickly, then... you guessed it... started downloading a software update... Stop me if you've read this before... It finished downloading the update, restarted the device. When the device started back up, it took a very, very long time to get to the opening screen again and it was acting like we hadn't set up anything yet. It started over at selecting a language and asking for the WiFi password, though this time the WiFi password was filled in (though masked). We clicked through to re-connect and...

NOTHING.

Yes, it did EXACTLY what the last one did. It stopped connecting to the WiFi that it connected to JUST FINE after it connected to the ROKU Servers and downloaded the NEW SOFTWARE that ROKU BREAKS ITS OWN DEVICE WITH!

It will be going back for a refund tomorrow! I have two older Roku devices that, evidently, are too old for this new update that would break them. I found a video online about another person having the same problem. And evidently Roku won't even take EMAIL support questions about a Roku Express? WTF is that about? That is NOT customer support! It is customer neglect! I have been a Roku customer since the first model of the Roku was out years and years ago. I might just get another streaming device for this thrid TV in our house!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Express won't connect to network after downloading software update

@MPreslar42  Thanks for reaching out to let us know about the issue you're experiencing. A couple more questions here to help better understand what you're experiencing:

- What is the specific make and model of wireless router that you are using? 

- Have you tried connecting to a different network to test and see if you're able to successfully get connected, such as a mobile hotspot? 

- What is your current configuration on your wireless router? Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
SConner14
Level 7

Well I'm certainly glad I'm not crazy, reading your article is like reading what I'm dealing with right now!  Mine's doing the same thing and I'm new to Roku and have followed every step they suggested along the way and still... NOTHING! Being new to Roku, it certainly puts a bad taste in my mouth.  How is there ZERO customer support?!

Highlighted
Fcoayala
Level 7

Hello there!! Same f$&@& issue here. I got it today from amazon, and is going back!!! Buying apple tv instead!!! This Roku express is a piece of dirt. 

Highlighted
cbermingham
Level 7

I bought a new Roku Express through Amazon. I was able to step throught all of the initial setup without an issue. The next time I tried to use it, it wouldn't connect. I brought it down to another TV only 16 feet from my Router and it still wouldn't connect. Yesterday I went painstakingly through the troubleshooting proceedures with Amazon and they agreed that it was not connecting due to a malfunction. They shipped me a new one today.
The new Express connected immediately to my wifi. It then started to update. The device restarted to the Roku splash screen a couple times. Then, when the device started back up after a very long time, it was back at the first setup screen asking me to select a language, then asking for the WiFi and password, though this time the WiFi password was filled in (though masked). When I clicked through to connect it threw a 014.40 error and failed.
I backed up, cleared and reset the password to retry the connection. Still no connection and a 014.40 error. I followed the next step in the error instructions and pulled the power cord. After 30 seconds, I plugged the unit back in. The device restarted to the Roku splash screen, then appeared to go back into processing an update. When the device started back up after a very long time, it was back at the first setup screen asking me to select a language, then asking for the WiFi and password. I reset the password... Still no connection and a 014.40 error.
Having gone through all of that with the first Express, I knew that the next step would be a factory reset, which I did.
When it started up again I selected language, I selected my wifi SSID. I entered the password again. The screen displayed nice, green checkboxes for Wireless Connection and Internet Connection but the top caption didn't update from "Checking..." It stayed that way for a loooong time. Long enough to write this message.
For background, the Roku was connection to a Linksys WRT3200ACM Router over a distance of 16 feet with actual line of site. My Laptop and two cell phones are the only other active devices on the network. I have both the 2.5GHz and 5.0GHz bands active with an 11 character password that includes an @ character, 2 numerals and 2 upper case letters. Removing the @ sign did nothing to fix the problem. Restarting, Resetting and otherwise following the recommendations on the Roku support site have done nothing to resolve the issue.
In short, the brand new Express did EXACTLY what the last one did. It stopped connecting to the WiFi after it connected to the ROKU Servers and downloaded the NEW SOFTWARE FROM ROKU.
This is clearly an ongoing problem from what I see in this Forum. I am looking to Roku to make this right under warrantee, because it is clearly a significant and relatively common product defect. Otherwise it will be clear to me that the Express is not fit for purpose and Roku as a company is not worth my business.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
caricell
Level 9

Re: Roku Express won't connect to network after downloading software update *RESOLUTION*

After many hours of frustration with this problem (and TWO Express units unable to connect to my network after the November update is applied), I believe I have finally fixed this. (Since ROKU apparently hasn't even bothered to acknowledge the issue.

It's NOT your router. It's not your network. It's the Express stick, the SE Box (which uses the Express firmware), and possibly the EXPRESS + stick as well. 

Symptoms: It connects fine initially to set up. After the update installs and unit restarts, it no longer connects to your network (even though it may still SEE it.)

Resolution: (And dont ask my exactly why this works, but:

Go to HOME> Setttings> System>Advanced System Settings>Device Connect>and select DISABLE DEVICE CONNECT.

Restart the unit. It may even restart on its own after about 20 seconds. After the restart, it should automatically connect to your network.

To test this after it does, PULL THE POWER to your unit and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then power it up again, and it should still be fine.

Hope this works for you as well. If it does, you're welcome. Smiley Happy

Shame on ROKU.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
bcdunaway
Level 7

Re: Roku Express won't connect to network after downloading software update *RESOLUTION*

I bought a Roku Premiere today and I am having the exact same problem.  It connected to my Wifi and then dowloaded the software update.  After that, it will NOT reconnect to my Wifi.   I am taking it back and will not buy Roku again.   No Support

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

@bcdunaway Thanks for reaching out. Sorry to hear about the experience! I'd like to gather some additional details to help take a closer look, and pass feedback along to our team. A few additional questions: 

- What is the specific make and model of your wireless router? 

- Have you tried connecting the device to another network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if this is successful?

- Did you try rebooting your wireless router to see if this made any difference? 

Thanks in advance! 

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
tarar
Level 7

I bought two Roku Express devices today.  Neither of them are connecting to my wifi.  they start off well - each going through the setup.  but once they do the software update, they do not connect again.

i have tried:

1. restarting the roku
  2. restarting my router
  3. resetting the roku
  4. trying to connect to my home wifi
  5. trying to connect to an iphone hotspot

NOTHING WORKS!! It seems the software update breaks the Roku!  and there is no way to skip the update.  Oh, and no 'agent assisted' support for this device.  Super.

Somebody help!!

Tara

0 Kudos
Highlighted
tarar
Level 7

@caricell  - thanks for this solution.  but one question: how do you get to the home screen?  I am setting up my express for the first time, so i can't seem to even get to the home screen.

was your express already set up and just had the software update?  perhaps i am screwed because my express is doing the update during the initial setup?

0 Kudos