Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Roku Express will not reconnect to network after power down

I recently purchased two Roku Express players and have the same issue with both. Upon initial install and power up of both Express players, was able to instantly connect to my home network. I was able to complete setup on both Express units and they both worked fine. The problem is that I would like to power the Express units via USB, which means they powered off when the TV that they were attached to was powered off. Upon powering back on, neither of the two Express units would reconnect to my home network. If I do a factory reset and start over with the initial setup, then I am able to connect to my network again. Why would a power down cause the Express to not be able to reconnect?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 21

Re: Roku Express will not reconnect to network after power down

One possible explanation is that not all USB ports on the TV provide enough power to properly operate a Roku device. While the Roku appears to be operating correctly, it may not provide enough power for the WiFi radio to operate correctly. You could test this by using the wall power adapter provided, and see if it reconnects when powered back up with it. If it does, that points at the TV's USB port not providing sufficient power.

Note that a USB 2.0 port is only required to provide 500 mA of power per specs. Your Roku probably needs more than that, but I don't know the exact amount of power they require. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Level 7

Both of my Roku Express units have this issue even if using power adapter. Once power is lost, unit will not reconnect until I do a factory reset.
0 Kudos
Level 19

There are a number of factors that may contribute to this type of behavior, ranging from your router's network settings, DHCP configuration, etc. We'd recommend contacting your ISP or router manufacturer to see if there are any settings changes that you can make that would help alleviate this issue. Also, if you are using the power adapter included with your device to power it from a wall outlet, it shouldn't lose power when you turn the TV off. Using that option may help you avoid this issue as well. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Level 7

My ISP is telling me that the issue is with the Roku Expresses themselves. Don't know if this is true or not.
0 Kudos
Level 19

- When you say that your device won't reconnect, what exactly occurs when you visit Settings>Network>Set up connection and input your network details? Do you see any error messages? 

- When this occurs, have you tried connecting your device to another wireless network to see if this is successful? (Such as a mobile hotspot)

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Level 7

I have the same issue, but I don't even have to power it down for it to not work, all I have to do is get the Wi-Fi disconnected, and then it won't reconnect to that same Wi-Fi neck network, my Wi-Fi went out last night, and so my roku said it was not connected, I wake up the next morning and my Wi-Fi came back, so I tried to connect to that seem network and I ran in to this problem. I tried everything short of a factory reset, and none of it worked, this is already the 2nd time I had to factory reset it

0 Kudos