Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku Express will not connect to WiFi after power loss

When my Roku Express loses power and then power is restored it does not connect to my wireless network. It sees the network and remembers the password but will not connect. I end up having to do a reset using the hole in the back, then have to set up the network and set up all my streaming channels all over again. I would think the Express would recover gracefully from the power interruption but this is not the case.

I’ve got a Linksys router with WPA2 for security. Do all Roku Expresses have this problem? I’ve got a Roku TV and after losing power it recovers gracefully.

11 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express will not connect to WiFi after power loss

@GWo 

Thanks for the note.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is plugged into the wall with the provided cable?

For more information regarding Roku devices being powered off, visit our Support page here: Can I power my Roku® streaming player on or off?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The Roku Express is powered via the included cable that is plugged into a 110 volt outlet. The TV USB port would not provide enough power.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I have the exact same problem except that for me it disconnects every night after I turn it off, I try to scan for my network to no avail, the only way it will work is when I restart the Roku Express+. I have no issues with anything else connected to my network, I googled this problem and saw many suggesting that I change the channel for my router for 2.4mhz, so I changed it to channel 6. We shall see if this stops, its becoming very annoying and I am "almost" getting ready to return this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Please let me know if switching your wi-fi channel fixes the problem. This happens to me every time power is removed from the Roku Express. I'm not impressed with the support Roku has provided so far for this problem. A "Danny" from Roku initially engaged but is now silent on this issue. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Will do. I will check for a few days and post a reply here. Hopefully it works, looks like it resolved a lot of people's issues.

@GWo wrote:

Please let me know if switching your wi-fi channel fixes the problem. This happens to me every time power is removed from the Roku Express. I'm not impressed with the support Roku has provided so far for this problem. A "Danny" from Roku initially engaged but is now silent on this issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

@ckuno24 wrote:

Will do. I will check for a few days and post a reply here. Hopefully it works, looks like it resolved a lot of people's issues.

@GWo wrote:

hi @GWo , sorry for the late reply....just wanted to let you know that changing the channel did it for me, all is working fine now, I have not had any issues since manually changing the channel in my router.  hope you have the same luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku not connecting with confirmed strong signal.

Roku express just stopped working. All other wireless devices are still going strong. Roku has been in the same place for over a year. I’ve reset both the roku and the router and still not connecting 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Roku not connecting with confirmed strong signal.

@Kfaust 

Does it see the signal?

Move it to another place and see if the signal changes.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Won’t Connect: Express 3900X - SW 9.2.0

The past few weeks, this Roku Express keeps disconnecting; sometimes it says the connection is weak, other times it cannot see our network at all. Occasionally it disconnects right in the middle of a show. Our network has not changed here, and all our other devices are able to connect easily and stream media. (This same roku, in the same exact location, has worked very well in the past for us.)

I’ve done all the usual stuff, many times, including resetting Roku, resetting router, changing WiFi channel, etc. 

What can be done? How can we fix?

0 Kudos