Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robway9
Level 8

Roku Express units no longer seeing my network after update

Jump to solution

Both of my Roku Express units no longer see my wireless network and I can't get connected on those two tv's.  My Roku Streaming stick plus still works fine and shows the network signal strength as excellent, hence, that tv is connected just fine. The two express units show that system updates were checked early this morning, so it seems that this has something to do with the problem. I have tried restarting both units and other solutions but nothing seems to work. The network is working fine: laptop, cellphone, and aforementioned Roku Streaming Stick are connected.  Help! Have wasted two hours on this already to no avail.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robway9
Level 8

Re: Roku Express units no longer seeing my network after update

Jump to solution

So, I called my internet provider, AT&T.  They informed me that this has been an issue with other customers that use Roku.  The technition reset my router signal, making sure that both the 5G and 2.4G bands were visable.  This solved the problem.  Apparently, when the Roku units upgrade, somehow it affects the router. He said this is a somewhat common occurence with Roku units. 

The major problem I have had with this experience is that Roku does not have a customer service number or even a live chat option on their website.  It literally took six hours of me trying to find a customer service phone number, searching the internet for solutions, searching the forum boards, making a listing, and finally getting a response from a Roku rep before I was told to call up my internet provider. And during those six hours I felt pretty helpless and angry.  If Roku simply had a customer service phone number that I could have called and talked to a technition, the problem would have been solved in 30 minutes.  Even though I ultimately fixed the problem, I will not be recommending Roku to any of my friends and family.  This experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MaryFranco
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @Robway9,

Thanks for the post.

The Roku Express and is a single-band wireless device which means it only supports a 2.4 GHz connection. Your Roku Express will not recognize the 5Ghz network. You need to make sure that your 2.4 GHz network is active by using your mobile phone and check if you can detect the 2.4 GHz network. We also suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider or ISP for assistance in checking if the 2.4 GHz network is active and not hidden. 

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Robway9
Level 8

Jump to solution

So, I called my internet provider, AT&T.  They informed me that this has been an issue with other customers that use Roku.  The technition reset my router signal, making sure that both the 5G and 2.4G bands were visable.  This solved the problem.  Apparently, when the Roku units upgrade, somehow it affects the router. He said this is a somewhat common occurence with Roku units. 

The major problem I have had with this experience is that Roku does not have a customer service number or even a live chat option on their website.  It literally took six hours of me trying to find a customer service phone number, searching the internet for solutions, searching the forum boards, making a listing, and finally getting a response from a Roku rep before I was told to call up my internet provider. And during those six hours I felt pretty helpless and angry.  If Roku simply had a customer service phone number that I could have called and talked to a technition, the problem would have been solved in 30 minutes.  Even though I ultimately fixed the problem, I will not be recommending Roku to any of my friends and family.  This experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
saynotorku
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for the advice. I called Spectrum and they were able to reset the router as you mentioned. But I spent 6 hours trying to find a solution as to why our Roku's wouldn't connect. No support number, no chat, nothing! If it wasn't for your comment I would have never resolved this issue. I will NEVER recommend Roku devices to anyone!

0 Kudos
saynotorku
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mary,

If only you had a support number or chat option to let people know this basic information before they spend 6 hours trying to figure it out.

Regards,

Say No to Roku

0 Kudos