Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emily4

Roku Express not connecting to Xfinity Internet

Jump to solution

Hi, I've used my Roku Express with Xfinity Internet Essentials for a year and a half without problems.  It will no longer hold a connection.  I have tried re-starting Roku and my router many times over the past week.  When Roku does connect it is on Channel 1, however when I select Youtube, CNN Go, or Sling the connection immediately vanishes.  In fact, it vanishes even when I don't select anything.  I'm surprised and dissapointed that there is no live customer support for Ruku Express.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express on Channel 1 not connecting to Xfinity Internet Essentials

Jump to solution

@Emily4 

Comcast has changed many WiFi router settings for 2.4 GHz band to g/n from b/g/n. Check if that was done. If so, you should be able to change it back.

How to do that depends on which router they provided as part of the service.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Emily4 

Comcast has changed many WiFi router settings for 2.4 GHz band to g/n from b/g/n. Check if that was done. If so, you should be able to change it back.

How to do that depends on which router they provided as part of the service.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

Emily4

Jump to solution

Switching to 802.11 b/g/n worked.  Thanks DBDukes.  

Still want to reiterate that Roku should provide live customer support for people with Roku Express.  It took me several evenings to just figure out to post on this. 

A phone number or email address for Roku customer support (available to everyone!) would be much more user-friendly.

dowill
Reel Rookie

Roku Express suddenly will not connect to the internet

Jump to solution

I have been using this roku for about two years with no problem. All of a sudden it will no longer connect to my router. My TV and my Amazon Fire stick work just fine. I have tried every one of the suggestions that I have read in the community and none have worked. Now my question is "WHY CAN'T I TALK TO SOMEBODY AT roku ABOUT THIS?" After looking at all of the similar problems it appears that roku has a problem they should be addressing. I had considered buying another product but after reading all of the posts I now feel that I really don't want to send any money rokus way until they provide a solution.

Jrj91

Re: Roku Express suddenly will not connect to the internet

Jump to solution

We just had the same issue. Turns out our wifi in our area was recently upgraded from 2.4 GHz to 5.0. Roku only works on 2.4. We went to a web URL bar and typed in “10.0.0.1” Once you login, you’ll see your wifi networks. (If the 2.4 and 5.0 have the same name, your device will automatically try to connect to the faster one.) Change the name of the 2.4 and scan again on your roku to see available connections. Choose the one you just renamed and put in your regular password. Hope this works for you.

dowill
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Already looked at that and modem is set for 2.4G and that light is the one that is flashing on the front panel. Also this is a Century link modem and you can select 2.4 or 5 in the setup area.

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@dowill 

Even though your wireless router (not modem) is set for 2.4 GHz (not G), it could be that the ISP changed the settings from b/g/n to g/n. Some have been doing this recently. If that's the case, change the settings back to b/g/n and it should work.

DBDukes

Tamra1969

Jump to solution

I hate that I can use the only tv source I have and no one available to  help me. No customer service number want my money back. This is terrible. I need to send out this problem on Social media and to Many local news outlets. Maybe could get a response then. 

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@Tamra1969 wrote:

I hate that I can use the only tv source I have and no one available to  help me. No customer service number want my money back. This is terrible. I need to send out this problem on Social media and to Many local news outlets. Maybe could get a response then. 

This is your very first post on this forum. You haven't previously stated what problem you're having. It's as if you posted just to complain, not to seek help. If that's true -- if you just came here to complain -- I'll step away and go find someone who wants help and try to help them. If you want help, just say so and what the problem is. Include your Roku model number and Roku software version. We'll see if we can help.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Tamra1969

Jump to solution

Ok, true I'm upset over the matter. My Roku express suddenly will not connect to the internet. I was in a car accident and being in bed a lot it's my only form of entertainment. I don't like to not just talk to someone and get the issue corrected. I spent the last hour making sure it wasn't my Xfinity internet service but it's working on all my other devices. Do you know of anyway to solve this issue?