Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cgbrock
Level 7

Roku Express suddenly cannot see any WiFi access point

WiFi problem happened recently on two Roku devices in the house.  Both of them developed the same problem at the same time, but none of the other half-dozen or so non-Roku devices in the house were affected.

Device #1 information:
Roku Express, purchased about 4 months ago
Serial number YG006V047555
WiFi connection to access point(s), HDMI connection to TV, 720p
Software version 9.0.0 build 4142-51

Device #2 information:
Roku Express, purchased about 12 months ago
Serial number YG00F8964740
WiFi connection to access point(s), HDMI connection to TV, 720p
Software version 9.0.0 build 4142-51

Symptoms:

WiFi has been working well until very recently.  Several WiFi networks were visible, including the three access points in our house, plus a neighbor’s.

The WiFi suddenly stopped working a couple weeks ago.  No wireless networks are visible – none.

Tried multiple soft reboots and factory reset on Roku without success.  Rebooted router and access points without success.

At the Roku location, signal strength of the access points ranges from -50 to -60 dB (using two different Android-based WiFi analyzer apps).  All devices – phones, computers – can see and connect to any access point from the Roku location.

There is no interference between any access point – they are all on widely-spaced channels.  There is no interference from neighbor’s router or any other device.

If one of the access point devices is moved to a location 3 feet from the Roku, the Roku can then see it (but nothing else) and connect, but the signal strength is reported as “low.”

In the Wireless Secret Screen, with the access point 3 feet away:
Signal strength: 0
Antenna 1: 22
Antenna 2  0
RSSI:  -70 dBm

The reported Antenna 1 signal is very low even with access point 3 feet away.  To reiterate, all other devices can see and connect to it (as well as to the other access points).  Signal strength at the Roku with the access point 3 feet away is something like -30 dB.

The problem persists if all but one access point is deactivated.

Any ideas?  Could this possibly be related to the recent firmware upgrade(s)?  That's about when the problem began.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
shop2
Level 7

Re: Roku Express suddenly cannot see any WiFi access point

I have the same problem, have Roku got a solution? or do you think i should take it back to the shop and get my money back and go for a google one.
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Thanks for the notes here. Please send me a private message with your Roku account email address and your Roku device serial number from Settings>System>About. I'll help connect you with our Support team directly for more assistance here.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
shop2
Level 7

many thanks Roku
I see I have the same s/w as above. hope you can solve the problem
ben
0 Kudos