Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express suddenly can't connect to WiFi

Hi there,

I've had a Roku express for less than a year and it's been working just fine, up until a few days ago. For some reason the WiFi connection got dropped and now it can't detect *any* WiFi networks. I've tried the network reset, the full factory reset and pretty much anything else I can think of, but nothing. For reference, there are a few WiFi networks which are available, at least on other devices. My router is on a pretty clear channel. Shame I can't just speak with someone.

Cheers,

Elephant

34 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express suddenly can't do WiFi

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Re: Roku Express suddenly can't do WiFi

Me too. Can someone help me? It was working fine and then it wasn't. Lol help.
0 Kudos
mcristiani
Level 7

Roku Express Won't Connect to Network

I have a Roku express that has worked great until earlier this evening. It disconnected from the network in the middle of a show and then has not been able to reconnect since. I have tried a hard reset using the physical button on the device, restarted it from the menu, unplugged/plugged back in, and tried forgetting and rejoining the network. Nothing has worked. It takes a long time to pull up the list of networks and then after entering the password and trying to join my network it says no connection and recommends I restart the device and router. Both have been tried and the router is not giving any other devices connectivity issues. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Won't Connect to Network

@Dixsielicious @mcristiani 

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll have a member of our Support team follow up to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Jlw22291
Level 7

Roku express wifi connection

My Roku suddenly stopped connecting to my wifi. I have reset restarted both the Roku and my router nothing is helping. I've had it for about 3 months. Everything else in my home is connected to my wifi but my Roku. HELP
0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku express wifi connection

Hi,

Is the wireless network you are trying to connect to broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network? The Roku Express is compatible with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi b/g/n networks. If your wireless router is not broadcasting a 2.4GHz wireless network, your device will not be able to connect to it. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer should be able to assist you in checking the configuration and making any necessary adjustments. 

Please keep us posted. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Doobies123
Level 7

WiFi died on roku express+

I have a Roku express+ that has worked until earlier this evening. It disconnected from the network in the middle of a movie and then has not been able to reconnect since. I have tried a hard reset using the physical button on the device, restarted it from the menu, unplugged/plugged back in, and tried using a different cable and power supply. Nothing has worked. It takes a long time to pull up the list of networks which doesn’t show any but my Phone hotspot when the identical unit I have works fine on the same cable power supply and WiFi. When trying to connect to my phone after entering the password and trying to join my network it says no connection. I have only had this thing for like 6 months and I do not generally leave it plugged in long as I have heard of this same problem WiFi receiver crapping out on others with the same unit. Can you do anything for me? Thanks
tpn22
Level 8

Roku Express Can't Find My Network

I've been trying to find a solution for this for an hour and there doesn't seem to be one, and I've been trying to go through standard troubleshooting steps, and I keep having the same issue.

I've been using my Roku Express for several years, and today, all of a sudden, it dropped off my network.  My network is obviously working fine since I am writing this message on said network.

After struggling to try to find the network, I tried using the Scan function, and several networks come up nearby but none of them is my router.  I went into my About page and I saw the IP address as "0.0.0.0."  I tried restarting the device and that didn't help.  I've tried unplugging the device and letting it sit and then plugging it back in and that didn't help.  I've now pressed the reset button on the back of the device, got to the "Choose your network" page and it's still not there, so now I'm just completely stuck.  I've tried even calling, and it's totally ridiculous that there's no support other than this forum because these "articles" don't cover this.  Would be great if someone at Roku could actually support their customers.  Thanks Smiley Happy

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: WiFi died on roku express+

[merged thread]

@Doobies123 

A couple of things to check to get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express+ is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect?
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos