Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express suddenly can't connect to WiFi

Jump to solution

Hi there,

I've had a Roku express for less than a year and it's been working just fine, up until a few days ago. For some reason the WiFi connection got dropped and now it can't detect *any* WiFi networks. I've tried the network reset, the full factory reset and pretty much anything else I can think of, but nothing. For reference, there are a few WiFi networks which are available, at least on other devices. My router is on a pretty clear channel. Shame I can't just speak with someone.

Cheers,

Elephant

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku express wifi connection

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Is the wireless network you are trying to connect to broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network? The Roku Express is compatible with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi b/g/n networks. If your wireless router is not broadcasting a 2.4GHz wireless network, your device will not be able to connect to it. Your ISP or wireless router manufacturer should be able to assist you in checking the configuration and making any necessary adjustments. 

Please keep us posted. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express Won't Connect to Network

Jump to solution

@CBay  @mrg @Lizbeth710 @Amanda2 @cdesens 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Express suddenly can't connect to WiFi

Jump to solution

@chuck94 

Thanks for the note. Please try the following:

- Unplug your wireless router/modem from power for a minute. 

- On your Roku device go to Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Network connection reset and reset the connection. 

- Plug your wireless router/modem back in. Once it fully boots up again, and connects to the internet, try going to Settings>Network>Set up connection on your Roku device, and input your network details once more.

If you are seeing an error message please let us know what that is. I'd also recommend taking a look here: https://support.roku.com/article/208755728-what-should-i-do-if-i-cannot-connect-to-my-home-network-o...

Please let us know if that helps resolve the issue you are seeing. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

0 Kudos
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Express suddenly can't connect to WiFi

Jump to solution

@linamam97 

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
103 Replies
Highlighted
jasahl
Level 7

Roku Wifi problems (other devices are fine)

Jump to solution

No matter where I place my Roku Express, it reports poor WiFi signal (and frequently buffers, or won't play at all)

I have a Chromecast connected to the same TV, and it streams fine - and my phone has no issues w/ Wifi from the same location. Is this an indication that there's an issue with my Roku device? Do Roku's generally have weaker radios than other tech? I'm baffled as to why it is the only device that has trouble locking onto a solid WiFi signal

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Wifi problems (other devices are fine)

Jump to solution
I bought mine in November and had no problem connecting to the WiFi until this past week. Every other device in the same room connected just fine. I reset everything and it still wouldn't connect. Today I moved the player to another room that's closer to the router and now it can't even find the main network, it only find my extender network when the extender is plugged in. I'm honestly at a loss on how to fix this and the main Roku Support site says that I can't contact Customer Support about this which is starting to frustrate the hell out of me.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I have the same issue.  Did you find a way to contact support?  According to the website and the phone menu the Roku Express doesn't qualify for support either way.  Not sure why it has a 1 year warranty if you cannot contact anyone to replace it.
0 Kudos
feelyat
Level 7

Jump to solution
According to this page (https://support.roku.com/article/208757 ... placements), the process for returns and exchange works for all Roku streaming players.

In reality, it doesn't, since they don't respond to support cases and ignore all emails. 
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Since I didn't buy directly from Roku they say go to the brick and mortar.  The brick and mortar says we don't do that, call roku.  Roku phone support says I can't get phone support for roku express.  So I have a 1 year warranty with no avenue to actually get a replacement sent to me.
0 Kudos
feelyat
Level 7

Jump to solution
"liquidandroid" wrote:
Since I didn't buy directly from Roku they say go to the brick and mortar.  The brick and mortar says we don't do that, call roku.  Roku phone support says I can't get phone support for roku express.  So I have a 1 year warranty with no avenue to actually get a replacement sent to me.

They say to go to the store if you want a refund, not for support. That's generally the way they do it, and the stores have their own return/exchange/refund policies. As to whether they offer phone support, I couldn't say, but the web support seemed to work. up to a point. It takes them 1-2 days to respond to every email. After that, they hit a "we'll get back to you" point and stopped responding to the thread.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
The problem is that the website doesn't offer me any way of contacting them.  Roku express unsurprisingly doesn't qualify for agent assisted support via the website.  So everything just links to self help type articles and I can't submit an RMA form because I didn't buy directly from roku.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"liquidandroid" wrote:
... I can't submit an RMA form because I didn't buy directly from roku.

Really? You mean none of the pages you looked at regarding your problem had a link to this? https://support.roku.com/contactus/3
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Yes, I've been there many times.  The end result is this: 

Eligibility for a refund

• You are returning a Roku player purchased directly from Roku.com

• You are within 30 days from the date of purchase

I did not purchase from Roku, I am past the 30 day limit or I would have just returned it to my place of purchase which was Best Buy. 
0 Kudos