Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku Express sees EVERY wireless network but mine

My Roku Express was working fine, and then NOTHING. I went to watch a movie and all of a sudden it was disconnected from the wireless network. I tried to connect, but it can’t even see my network anymore. However, it sees EVERY other network in the neighborhood. I’ve power cycled the router and Roku, reset the Roku - even back to the factory reset. Nothing has worked. Any ideas on how I can get it to see my network again? 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express sees EVERY wireless network but mine

A couple of things come to mind.

First - Here's what has worked for me to re-establish my net connection. I usually have to do this on my most used Roku, a Streaming Stick+, several times a month.

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Second - Your Roku Express (assuming it's not the recently introduced Express 4K)  is a lower end unit with single band Wi-Fi radio that only supports the 2.4 GHz band. This, and many other devices of all sorts that are 2.4 GHz only, can't even see the 5 GHz band, !et alone connect to it. If you have a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

Within the 2.4 GHz band, be sure your router is set to use channels in the 1 through 11 range as are used in North America. Some other parts of the world also support channels 12 & 13, but Rokus can't even see these channels.

There have been a number of reports lately of people who have routers supplied by their Internet Provider in which the router's 2.4 GHz band was disabled by an update to the router software. They've had to have their Internet Provider re-enable the 2.4 GHz band, or in some cases swap in a new router with 2.4 GHz support.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Buddygrace

Good afternoon, 

I have the roku premier, and just today the device cannot find my internet connection anymore. 

All of my other devices still have internet, and it wasnt moved away from the router. Its about 3 feet above my Verizon router. 

I've tried restarting, and resetting my network settings, but not factory reset (yet). Also unplugged in case it was a heating issue. 

It finds other wireless signals including verizon routers, as well as my wireless printer, just not my personal internet. 

Please help!

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Buddygrace

Welcome to the Roku Community!

There could be several reasons why your Roku Premier cannot find your internet connection when other Roku devices can connect. Here are a few possible solutions you can try:

• Restart your Roku Premier: Sometimes, restarting your Roku Premier can fix any temporary issues that may be preventing it from connecting to the internet. To do this, go to the settings menu on your Roku device and select "System" > "Power" > "System restart".
  • Check your Wi-Fi network: Make sure that your Wi-Fi network is visible and that your Roku Premier is within range of your wireless network. You can try moving your Roku Premier closer to your router or resetting your router.
  • Re-connect your Roku to a solid wireless network or an alternate wireless network: such as another mobile phone signal typically provided and maintained by specific mobile phone (cellular) service providers.
  • Reset your Roku Premier: If none of the above solutions work, you can try resetting your Roku Premier to its factory settings. This will erase all data and settings on your device, so make sure to back up any important data before resetting. To reset your device, go to the settings menu on your Roku device and select "System" > "Advanced system settings" > "Factory reset".

We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos