Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbird635
Level 7

Roku Express + plus weak wifi signal.

I've had this Roku express Plus 3910RW  since last October. It's been working fine until recently.  Lately, apparently after the previous software update , the wifi signal now is weak. When I run the Network- Check connection test, it  shows no  wifi signal or connection (red X) . Even with no apparent connection, It still connects but  barely, but at any time, it drops randomly,  buffering /  freezing the video due to a lost signal.

I swapped my older Roku Express 3710X in place of the newer Express + 3910RW for testing. In the same location with the same power supply and cables, my older Roku express still works fine, excellent signal strength.
I reinstalled  the new Express +. 
With the new Express +  3910RW back in place,
I tried swapping power supplies and switching tv's , no change.  Wifi signal is good on the other unit and other wifi devices. No signal interference on 2.4ghz channel 4  .  I updated the router firmware, reset the router, same issue. I even shut off all other wireless devices, no change.
Older Roku still works great.

I checked the secret wifi menu,
signal strength ; 0
Antenna 1 : 0 to 1 , no higher.
Antenna 2: 0,  no change from 0.
Glitch/sec between 10 and 200
Tried all the resets. No change

This seems to have begun after the last software update, but not sure if it's related. the unit does get pretty warm .
Is that normal from the 4 core processor ? Or is the unit's wifi failing from overheating or something?

Roku Express + Model 3910RW
Serial on request
Sw build 8.1.0  4145-51
device id : on request

Any ideas?
Thanks Bruce

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
tbird635
Level 7

Re: Roku Express + plus weak wifi signal.

updated my post above with model number info and more detail. Thanks
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

This is probably a reach, but others have reported problems with passwords and special characters when connecting their Rokus and I've had similar problems with my Roku Express 3900 (password apparently too long), so you might try a short, simple password and see if that changes anything, I have no idea how a password could affect signal strength, but you never know.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

There is a hardware problem with the Roku Express +.  Unfortunately, this is a common issue (look at Amazon).

The units apparently run very hot, and after a while, the WIFI goes out on them.   They were not properly engineered to run cool enough.  Only thing that can be done is to do a warranty exchange.  
0 Kudos
tbird635
Level 7

Tried the WiFi  simple password . It didn't change a thing.
I'm guessing it's hardware related at this point.  All I'm left with now is  I'm going to attempt a warranty exchange at this point.
Thanks
Bruce
0 Kudos
tbird635
Level 7

My Roku Express +   3910rw is going to be replaced under warranty. I guess I will update this when I receive the replacement unit to verify it wasn't a network issue
Thanks again for your suffestion.
Bruce
0 Kudos

I have a Roku Express with the same exact problem.  How exactly did you get support?  Supposedly I have a 1 year warranty.  The website points me to go to the brick and mortar where I purchased it.  They say they can't do anything because I have to contact Roku directly and give me the main number for Roku support, which my model doesn't apparently qualify for.  So I can't get web or phone support, how exactly am I supposed to get a replacement?
0 Kudos
carloshj85
Level 7

I have the send problem, I bought two Roku express 3900X on December 2017, both was working well with good strength WIFI signal, then around June 2018, one of then appear with poor WIFI signal, only one bar, I follow some instruction that I found in roku website, move the Roku to the router but still only one bar signal, reset it, etc... so I give up, then this week the second Roku got the same problem. I contact to Roku costumer services +18162728106 , but not luck, it only say that go to website and try the solution that they show on website what I already apply on the first Roku.
Now I want to get the replacement, but I can find the way to do it? any one can help me what are the step to do it?
0 Kudos

Go here: https://support.roku.com/contactus and follow the steps for returning a roku device.  I did so and it took a long while, but I got a replacement.  After submitting it took about a week to get an email and then another week of subsequent emails back and forth before they finally sent me a new one.
0 Kudos
carloshj85
Level 7

Thanks liquidandroid for your reply. hope they can help me
0 Kudos