Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

By default most all routers select their channel automatically. This means they might change the channel used without your awareness. I wouldn't suggest calling Verizon until you first determine what channel it's using. You can probably do that on a different device that is connected. The other device might show the channel in use. If your Roku was connected, that info would be available under the Network settings. I just looked at my iPhone, and it does NOT provide that info, so don't try an Apple phone. You might also see if you can log into the admin interface on your router. Most of them provide a web interface, and the default login password is usually on a sticker on the router. Once in the interface, you might have access to change the channel yourself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Lynnbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I only have an iPhone and iMac - neither of which show what "channel" my router is using. I have no idea how to log onto the admin interface for it and I don't feel comfortable doing that. I guess I'll have to place another call to Verizon. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Just try using the IP address of the router using Safari on your Mac. The way to tell its IP address is to look at what your computer is using for a default gateway. That's going to be your router IP address. It's not difficult, assuming the router manufacturer has a half way decent user interface. Of course, there's no guarantee of that... 😛

Dan

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I used to be a Verizon customer and by default on Verizon's router's DFS channels are enabled. If you don't know how to disable DFS via the My Fios app for mobile devices or on Verizon's website for your FIOS account. You can't disable DFS from the router if you know your IP and login information anyway. Lastly, you can call Verizon to disable DFS for you. As, soon as Verizon sees that you have Roku devices the Verizon tech will know what to do immediately.

0 Kudos
Lynnbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Just got off the phone with Verizon Tech Support and they said my router is already enabled to recognize all channels and bandwidths. Evidently the problem is with the Roku device. I really don't know what to do with this Roku except throw it away and buy another streaming device.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It sounds like you don't want Verizon to disable DFS on your router. I don't know of a single streaming device from any other manufacture that supports DFS channels. Perhaps, someone that is reading this comment knows better than me. 

0 Kudos
Lynnbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know what that is. I just know that everything else in my house (including a SmartTV) is connecting without issues. The problem is with the Roku Express device.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

perhaps, you might need to make a warranty claim with Roku if your device is broken. 

0 Kudos
kato223
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi!  I am not sure what router you have, but I do know that some devices can have connection issues or seeing the SSIDs of the routers if the channels of the 2.4GHz and 5GHz are combined as one name.  You can try separating the names to see.  Also, in the past I had a connection issue with my Roku Express, a laptop and a couple over devices where having the Legacy rates (Anything below N) enabled on my router that they could not see it while other devices saw it just fine.  Disabling those rates will only affect really old WiFi devices that do not support N or AC. 

Just something to consider.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

His Express doesn't support 5 GHz, so there should be no issue with the SSID being the same on both radios. My Premiere is also a single band, and it sees and connects to my Xfinity router without an issue with a single SSID. 

Dan

0 Kudos