Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

I have intermittent problems with my Roku Express telling me I have "poor signal strength". I bought a brand new router(I probably wasted money buying it, because it didn't help) and some days the Roku works fine, then all of a sudden, I have problems with connectivity. I have no problems with the other devices in my network. I never had this problem with my old basic Roku box that became obsolete.I can see no way to send a "Private Message" to the moderator who I've seen asking people with this problem to send him a PM. Really frustrated with this!

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

You send a PM to one of the moderators by clicking their name and selecting View Profile. On their profile page is a button to send a Private Message. If you don't see the button, try a different browser. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Funny, the first 5 or 6 times I looked at his profile, there was no button to send a PM. Now, there is...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MadUser1206

Thanks for the posts.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensure/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Grrrrrr
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi Dan, I’m not sure how to PM you but I’m having the same issue with my Roku Premier, just stopped overnight being able to see any network at all. Can you assist me?

device id: JF2881554710

serial :YHOO1c554710

0 Kudos
Larryh123
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Has anyone found an answer to this? Roku is useless - you tell them what you have done - which in my case was 90% of what they would ask for - even though i stated it in the ticket. 

8 emails later - they are still asking or questions that I have already given them the info on.

They don want to bother replacing a defective item. 

One would think that there are many people having this issue that Roku would be more open to digging out it. 

Well - no other options - they wont replace it - so buy from another manufacturer that will support their products. 

0 Kudos
HumorMike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

My Roku Express + that I've had for a year has suddenly started disconnecting from Wifi every single morning.  It does not reconnect unless I do a reset or unplug the unit from the power cord for a minute.  After a reset, it connects and I can proceed on with my day with no issues until the next morning when I have to unplug it for a minute again.  My Roku Streaming stick does not have the issue, and none of the other items in my home have wifi connection issues (Nintendo Switch, iPad, work laptop, home laptop, iPhone).  The Express+ unit has been in the same spot for over a year and is actually about 12 feet from my router.  Because this is a new issue, it seems that there must have been an update or something that makes this one device not connect to wifi unless it's reset.  Oh, and I've checked for software updates too.

I feel for the other people experiencing this.  Trust me, I understand! 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @HumorMike

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Could you tell us if you are getting an error code or message? Refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that your Roku Express+ (3910RW) is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mtk7782

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuKariza-D @I’m having the same issues with one of my Roku expresses not detecting the WiFi network. The other two Rokus I have are not having issues - nothing has been lived or changed with the setup to cause this. 

please let me know how how to fix this 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mtk7782 While you haven't changed anything, your wireless might have made changes you are not aware of. If your ISP controls your router, they might have disabled 2.4 GHz. For some strange reason some ISPs have been doing that without notifying the users, or hiding it within some sort of marketing mailing or email. By default most routers are also set to auto-select the channel they use for WiFi. On the 2.4 GHz band, the available channels are 1-14. However, Roku devices will only work on channels 1-11, so if your router changed itself to 12, 13 or 14, your Roku will not be able to see or connect to it. 

So, check your router and see if a) 2.4 GHz is enabled and b) change the channel from Auto to channel 1, 6 or 11 (those are the three best channels to use on 2.4 GHz).

Your other two Roku devices might support 5 GHz, so if your ISP turned 2.4 GHz off they would still see and connect to the 5 GHz radio. That would explain why they still work.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos