Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Premiere not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

@KenyaJ, what's the model shown under Settings->System->About?  If it's 3920 and it's out of warranty my suggestion would be to throw it in the trash.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Premiere not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

@KenyaJ wrote:

WHAT TO DO ?????

Test it paired to your phone as a data hotspot to rule out your router, or test it at a friend's house with a different router.

0 Kudos

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

I have done this all will find my phone hotspot but not other hotspot. 

atc98092

Jump to solution

@Jennings426 wrote:

I have done this all will find my phone hotspot but not other hotspot. 

OK, if it sees your phone then the WiFi is working. Now the troubleshooting is with your router/access point. Assuming you have a Roku Express, that's only 2.4 GHz, so we'll concentrate there. First, there are 14 channels in the 2.4 GHz band, but Roku only works on eleven of them. And since there are only three channels that don't overlap each other, the best channels to use are 1, 6 or 11. Next, you need to check the mode your 2.4 radio is set to. There are three general modes for 2.4 GHz, B, G and N. Some ISPs have been configuring the radio to only use G and N, which in theory Roku should use just fine. But for whatever reason, there is some hardware out there that simply won't work with Roku unless the mode is set to B/G/N. Note: if your ISP has rented you the modem/router, they might not let you make these changes. You will have to contact your ISP and ask them to make the changes.

Next: do you have a cordless home phone? Many of them operate in the same 2.4 GHz band, and can interfere with WiFi reception. Make sure your cordless phone is not placed near the Roku, nor should the base unit be close to the Roku location. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Florida-18

Jump to solution

Good afternoon, my name is Howard Hren.

I show a good wifi connection, 4 bars, but when i try to connect, it indicates no connection.

I have rebooted everything to no avail. my password is correct.

How do you change channels, my modem has two bans, 2.4 and 5?

0 Kudos
Lynnbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Roku Express (external device) AND my smart TV (built-in) Roku will not connect to my WiFi. I’ve already contacted Verizon and they assured me there are no problems with my router. The network name does not show up when scanning for networks. I am beyond frustrated since I am paying for streaming services I cannot use. And where is your customer service number?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @Florida-18

Thanks for the post.

For instructions on how to change your modem's channels, we suggest reaching out to your Internet Service Provider (ISP). They will be able to assist you with that matter.

We appreciate your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @Lynnbug

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to.

You can also try configuring your router and use wireless channels 1, 6, or 11 which are the preferred channels in North America. Each time you change the wireless channel, you will likely need to apply/save changes before you are prompted to restart the router.

Please keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@Lynnbug Since it's happening with both devices, odds are it's a setting in the router. Verizon may be completely accurate that the router is working correctly, but it may be using a channel that is unsupported by Roku devices. 

WiFi generally operates on two radio bands: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Most Roku players only support 2.4 GHz, but some are dual band. Your Express is only 2.4 GHz, so let's concentrate on the 2.4 GHz band. There are 14 channels available in this band, but not all channels are available in every country. Therefore, Roku devices will only work on Channel 1-11. If your router is using 12, 13 or 14, you have the problem you are experiencing, that the WiFi isn't even visible. So you need to ensure your router is using an acceptable channel. Even though there's 11 channels available, there are really only three channels that should be used: 1, 6 or 11. The reason is because these three channels do not overlap each other, so they can be used in close proximity to each other without interference. 

One more comment about 2.4 GHz. For ISPs that can control your router (I have no idea if Verizon does), some have recently been turning the 2.4 GHz radio off. No explanation, and that of course makes the WiFi invisible to devices that only work on 2.4 GHz. So make sure it's turned on.

For the 5 GHz band, there are many more available channels, but there are again a subset of channels that Roku does not support. These are labeled DFS channels, and Roku devices cannot use them. So on this band, the channel needs to be 48 or lower, or 149 or higher. Again, not all Roku players support 5 GHz, while most (but not all) Roku TVs do.

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Lynnbug
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This really does not make any sense to me. Why was it working before and now it's not? Are you suggesting I call Verizon back, wait on hold for another hour, and read them this response?

0 Kudos