Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mtk7782

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick follow up. Unfortunately I checked everything you suggested and it’s still not working. 

the other two Roku devices in the house are expresses as well and they have been working fine.  

anything else we can do?

0 Kudos
HumorMike
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hello,

Thanks for the response.  I get an Error Code 016 and the list says the wireless signal may be too weak, to check the signal strength, and that the device may be too far from the router. This particular unit has always been in the same room within 12 feet of the router.  I'm a bit of a technical buff, so, as I noted, unplugging the Roku and plugging it back in makes the problem go away and it only happens once a day...as if when the Roku goes inactive, it can no longer automatically reconnect to the wifi for whatever reason.  I've already ruled out the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network issue because unplugging the router and plugging it back in doesn't change my router's output. If this was the issue, I would expect the Roku to consistently not be able to connect....not just drop connection overnight and not be able to reconnect in the morning without a reset.  

Error code 016

• This occurs when you are trying to launch a channel but the network or internet connection has been lost. Select Set up connection to go to the network settings on your Roku device and follow the on-screen instructions. If the behavior continues, the wireless signal may be too weak. Try step 4 above. Check that the signal strength is adequate. Your Roku device may be too far from the router.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Mtk7782 wrote:

the other two Roku devices in the house are expresses as well and they have been working fine.  
anything else we can do?

Yeah, that kind of eliminates the network aspects. I suggest trying one of the working ones in the non-working location, to eliminate any sort of interference that is localized in that specific area. If that one works fine, then there's likely a hardware issue with the one that doesn't work. Send a private message to one of the forum's moderators with your device serial number and your account email (don't post that here in the forum) and they can assist with warranty replacement. That's assuming it's less than a year old and still under warranty.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Aidy_G

Jump to solution

Hi @RokuDanny-R 

I've had a RoKuExpress for some time and works fine.  A couple of days ago I purchased a 2nd RoKuExpress for use in the garage. Unfortunately I am unable to connect to my wifi, the new RokuExpress does not detect my network.  I have taken it into the living room where my original Roku is setup and tried there without success.  I have tried the "Private network" option and entered my network ID and password.

In answer to your questions in your previous post:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? YES
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? YES
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? YES
- How long have you been experiencing this problem? Since I bought it

I do not know how to PM you with my Roku account email and serial number.

Can you advise please?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue its not detecting WiFi networks at all and I have scanned and rescanned several times

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@Bunnybutt1985, what's the model number of your Roku from Settings->System->About?  Do you know if you're using 2.4 or 5GHz?

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
loodybird

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am having the same problem.  I have xfinity and can't alter channels butI have both 2.4 and 5gh access.  How do I change to channel 1. I have hdmi conn. I don't  understand!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@loodybird I would suggest asking Comcast support to change your WiFi channel. Although other Comcast users have stated they can change the channels themselves. You didn't state what model Roku you have, so I can't say if it supports 5 GHz. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
KenyaJ

Re: Roku Premiere not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

Mines not working either..... this has been ALL DAY LONG

0 Kudos
KenyaJ

Re: Roku Premiere not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

WHAT TO DO ?????

0 Kudos