Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Winir

Re: Roku Premiere not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

My Roku premiere is not detecting any networks at all, phone, laptop and tablet see all 3 networks that I have in the house. 1-2.4GH one in the 5GH and the last is an extender that strengthens the 2.4GHZ signal downstairs where the ROKU is. This tells me its the ROKU box, is this under warrantee, its maybe a year old.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

@Winir

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@vanish32 wrote:

I have the same issue and kind of figured out that changing 2.4 wifi's channel makes Roku detect it again. My question is - this seems like a bug and should be fixed. Is there anyone on this forum who knows if Roku is planning to fix this? It is very irritating.

Kind of hard for Roku to fix this as it isn't a bug, but dependent on the router you are using to chose what channel it uses for 2.4 Ghz WiFi.

The solution is to set the Router from Auto to a specific Channel you know works always. 🙂 

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
0 Kudos
JackN777
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@lmontalti wrote:

I have a roku express 2018, it does not detect any wifi network, reboot, change wifi frequency to 2.4GHz

You can't change the WiFi frequency band. The Express only works in the 2.4 GHz band. What you can change is the channel, which makes a minor frequency change within the 2.4 GHz band. 

In this day and age, you should see numerous neighboring WiFi access points. If your Roku is showing absolutely none, there's likely a hardware or software issue with the Roku. Can you try using a hotspot on a phone and see if that can be seen?

In this day and age, you should see numerous neighboring WiFi access points. If your Roku is showing absolutely none, there's likely a hardware or software issue with the Roku.

Hah! Not if you live in the boonies like I do down in a gulley... No cell coverage, and no WiFi but my own from my AC1200... 😄

- Roku Express+ 3910X
- Roku Express+ 3910RW
- Roku Express+ 3710X
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JackN777 wrote:

In this day and age, you should see numerous neighboring WiFi access points. If your Roku is showing absolutely none, there's likely a hardware or software issue with the Roku.

Hah! Not if you live in the boonies like I do down in a gulley... No cell coverage, and no WiFi but my own from my AC1200... 😄

Always going to be an exception... 😄

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
vanish32
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is a bug, because even after changing the channel, it happens again after few days. I must have 10 other devices  connected to same router, only the Roku has this issue. There are multiple threads on this community for this issue.

vanish32
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is a bug, because even after changing the channel, it happens again after few days. I must have 10 other devices connected to same router, only the Roku has this issue. There are multiple threads on this community for this issue.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@JackN777 wrote:

@vanish32 wrote:

I have the same issue and kind of figured out that changing 2.4 wifi's channel makes Roku detect it again. My question is - this seems like a bug and should be fixed. Is there anyone on this forum who knows if Roku is planning to fix this? It is very irritating.

Kind of hard for Roku to fix this as it isn't a bug, but dependent on the router you are using to chose what channel it uses for 2.4 Ghz WiFi.

The solution is to set the Router from Auto to a specific Channel you know works always. 🙂 

Naw, if the Roku devices are the only ones having this problem on people's networks, then even if you don't consider it a bug, it's definitely a major compatibility problem with the WiFi standards that Roku needs to fix. And that's just as far as this channels issue. There is also the Roku update a number of months ago that broke things having to do with people's routers that were allowing legacy 802.11b rates. I suspect that there are other routers being affected by it that don't expose this setting so that users could change it.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku devices only support channels 1-11 on 2.4 MHz. That isn't a bug. Channels 12-14 aren't permitted for use in North America, so Roku devices don't support them. That's why it's best to manually assign your wireless channel for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. To ensure your router doesn't self-assign an unsupported channel. And for 2.4 GHz, You should really only use channels 1, 6 or 11, to avoid potential channel overlap interference.   

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
DHG3
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My devices (three Premiers) would see the network but not connect (suddenly as of about three days ago). I had to turn off "Wi-Fi Protected Setup (TM)" in my router settings. Now working fine.

0 Kudos