Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean89

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

Hi 

My roku was working fine with my WiFi now all of a sudden it will not detect it at all. It is picking up about 20 other routers on the street but not mine, all of my other devices connect fine and it is on 2.4gHz. I have tried factory rebooting the device and also rebooted the WiFi.

Thanks 

Sean 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Sean89 

Check your router to see what WiFi channel is being assigned. Most routers in the US only have 2.4 GHz channels 1-11, which are the only channels your Roku can see. But some router and access point manufacturers do offer channels higher than 11, and if your router changes its channel (which it can do in auto mode) to something higher than 11 then your Roku can't see it. In that case, I recommend manually assigning a channel between 1-11. Your Express doesn't support 5 GHz WiFi, so don't worry about any of those settings, assuming your router also supports 5 GHz.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
kato223
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

If your Roku is not seeing your 2.4GHz network, check your router and disable the legacy 802.11b rates.  As soon as I disabled it on mine, all my Rokus can now see my network without any issues.  Also, the streaming through my network from laptops, etc are now all working great.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

[personal information removed]

we have 2 roku express that will not find our WiFi router

Serial number 

SO1V3087553P

serial number 

SO1V30AV36V8

please can u advise us what to do as we haven’t been able to use these for weeks

0 Kudos
Jake5316

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue as of two days ago. Please contact me as you guys make it impossible to actually talk to someone. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you have an Express it will only work on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and only on channels 1 through 11.  Some ISPs seem to be disabling 2.4GHz in their customer's routers and some routers will automatically switch the channel to something greater than 11.  You need to go into your router's settings to find out what's happening.  If you have a modem/router supplied by your ISP call them for help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Mahalo06

Jump to solution

Roku is not detecting wifi. Wifi is working for laptop and phones. It suddenly stopped dectecting wifi

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for reaching out @Craigharold @Jake5316,

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error

code:

What should I do if I cannot connect to my home ... - Roku

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a

mobile hotspot.

Keep us posted with what you find out.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kato223
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

One other thing that might help is using a WiFi Range Extender for the Rokus to connect to.  I have one that I realized as soon as I put it in place all my Rokus including the Express versions can all see that with no modifications to WiFi settings.

0 Kudos