Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kylemcqueen75
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku Express not detecting wifi

Jump to solution

I have tried everything I can think of. Just randomly both my rokus will not see my 2.4ghz wifi. I have tried every channel. I have updated firmware, I switched to OpenWRT for my WRT 32X router....nothing. Everything else finds the network just fine. This has to be a problem with an update or something. It worked fine for over a year, and my new roku worked fine for months. It can find all my neighbors wifis, just not mine.

I have also tried just opening my wifi with a MAC filter. Also tried manually adding the network to the roku, doesn't work. Unless my apt building filled my walls with lead over night, this is a software issue on roku. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

With OpenWRT did you disable "Legacy" mode (802.11.b) in the settings for the 2.4GHz radio?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
yuniwed

Jump to solution

hi danny... have same issue suddenly my express cant see my network ..i moved it closer to router yet it only 1line of wifi strength signal connection so i keep getting disconnected. pls help ...my other express is working properly without a problem and yet it is farther from the modem/router. thaks!

0 Kudos
Dpinoc

Jump to solution

This may have been covered but I can't find it if it is, roku sees several wifi networks near me but not mine I have changed channels on the network nothing I even used my hotspot on my phone, dose not detect it, what else can I do

0 Kudos
kylemcqueen75
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The mode is listed as "N" with the other option being legacy. I don't have legacy selected. Main thing is that everything worked fine for a long time, then just randomly stopped working. Haven't touched my wifi settings until the rokus stopped working. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

If you're using OpenWRT or DD-WRT (or any other open source firmware) on your router update it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@kylemcqueen75 wrote:

The mode is listed as "N" with the other option being legacy. I don't have legacy selected. Main thing is that everything worked fine for a long time, then just randomly stopped working. Haven't touched my wifi settings until the rokus stopped working. 

That's not the same setting. You have to specifically uncheck the "allow legacy 802.11b rates" setting, then Save, and Save and Apply.

The setting is under:
Network->Wireless
Click the Edit button associated with the 2.4GHz radio
Go to Advanced Settings tab
uncheck "allow legacy 802.11b rates"
Save, then Save and Apply. Possibly reboot the router after this.

kylemcqueen75
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@mmortal03 wrote:

@kylemcqueen75 wrote:

That's not the same setting. You have to specifically uncheck the "allow legacy 802.11b rates" setting, then Save, and Save and Apply.

The setting is under:
Network->Wireless
Click the Edit button associated with the 2.4GHz radio
Go to Advanced Settings tab
uncheck "allow legacy 802.11b rates"
Save, then Save and Apply. Possibly reboot the router after this.

That option doesn't exist for me. The mode drop down menu is the only mention of Legacy I can find. 

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@kylemcqueen75 wrote:

That option doesn't exist for me. The mode drop down menu is the only mention of Legacy I can find. 

Hmm, what version of OpenWRT are you running? It's possible the version I'm using has a different arrangement of the settings in the GUI. If you can pull up the version you have, in the meantime I'll see if I can install a generic build of it to see if there are any differences in the GUI. I will take screenshots depending on what I find.

0 Kudos
mmortal03
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Here's a short video of the location of the setting in OpenWrt 19.07 LuCI Web Interface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9gdBvd1eSM

0 Kudos