Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baileyann01
Level 7

Roku Express: no longer finding my wifi even though it’s been connected before

I’ve had my Roku express for about a year now. I recently moved and it connected to my new wifi just fine. I even used it the majority of last week connected to my wifi, but then (a day after I used it) it told me that it’s “not connected.” And just thought maybe it just needed to find the wifi to be reconnected again, but it wasn’t finding my wifi. All of the WiFi’s in my neighborhood popped up, but mine never did. So I reset my wifi, I reset the Roku, I even did a factory reset on my Roku. It still isn’t finding it. I know this isn’t an issue with my internet, because my internet connects to every other device in my home just fine, the Roku just won’t find it. It connects to my hotspot, but it won’t update with my phones hotspot. I even got it to do app updates on my hotspot, but it won’t do the update it needs? I think. It’s very frustrating and I don’t want to buy a new one. #rokuexpress

0 Kudos
11 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Roku Express: no longer finding my wifi even though it’s been connected before

Are you in the US?  If not, you should be aware that Rokus only support channels 1 to 11 on 2.4GHz.  Try going into your router's settings and changing the channel especially if it's set to "Auto".

makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Roku Express: no longer finding my wifi even though it’s been connected before

Roku models Express, Express+, Premiere, and Premiere+ cannot connect to the 5 GHz wifi band, only to the 2.4 GHz band. If you have one of these models and a dual band router with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, be sure the router's 2.4 GHz band is turned on.

There have been a number of reports lately of people that have routers supplied by their Internet Provider having their router's 2.4 GHz band disabled.   They've had to have their Internet Provider re-enable the 2.4 GHz band, or even swap in  a new router.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
baileyann01
Level 7

How do I know if the 2.4 GHz is on or not? I’m not sure where to look for that. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 9

Do you know what model # your router is, or at least manufacturer?  Do you know how to login to your router's administrative panel?

Best case scenario (there may be a LED light on your router that indicates which networks are broadcasting/enabled/radio on  2.4gz, 5gz, both)

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@baileyann01 wrote:

How do I know if the 2.4 GHz is on or not? I’m not sure where to look for that. 

Check the wifi connection on your other devices and see if they report the connection channel number. 

1-11 are in the 2.4 GHz band and are used in the US. All Rokus support these.

12 & 13 are in the 2.4 GHz band but are not used in the US and are not supported by any Rokus.  You'll need to have the router switch its 2.4 band to to a supported channel.

Anything higher is not in the 2.4 GHz band.  This tells you the device is connected to a different band and doesn't tell you any thing about whether the router is using the 2.4 GHz band.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
baileyann01
Level 7

My model # is NexusLink 3240 but the lights on my modem are only for phone lines (for hard wiring), the power button, and Ethernet line. There are green lights lighting up on the power, the 2.4G wifi, the 5G wifi, the DSL 1, and the Internet 

0 Kudos
baileyann01
Level 7

There is also no way for me to log into my wifi or the channels or anything like that. Someone came over and set everything up for me, I didn’t do anything except give him a wifi name and password for it. If there is a way for me to log in, I don’t know how to 

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Assuming I'm looking at the right manual, you should be able to log in by going to http://192.168.1.1 from your browser.  It looks like the default admin username is root and the password is 12345.

You should first try unplugging the power from the router for a few seconds and plugging it back in.

Unless someone changed the country setting from US it shouldn't be using any channel other than 1 to 11.

AvsGunnar
Level 9

@baileyann01 wrote:

My model # is NexusLink 3240 but the lights on my modem are only for phone lines (for hard wiring), the power button, and Ethernet line. There are green lights lighting up on the power, the 2.4G wifi, the 5G wifi, the DSL 1, and the Internet 

That's good.  That shows all your networks (the 2.4gz and 5gz) are broadcasting and you have an active internet connection.

As @renojim posted earlier, you are going to need to access the router's admin panel to verify some settings so your Roku Express and your 2.4gz network can see each other.  It is relatively easy.  Just a laptop or computer and you type or copy/paste that link he has in his post and you should see your routers admin's login page pop up.  Then enter those default credentials and you should see your router's interface page pop up.  From there, he and other members can get you up and running.

If those default login credentials don't work, see if the guy who set up your router maybe taped some info to the side or bottom of your router in case he changed them. He probably did not, though.

0 Kudos