Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Casper777
Level 7

Re: connection

Im having the same issue [content removed]

Clearly everyone here is having the same issue and I expect swift resolution.

I also lost internet connection for a minute,all other devices connect, ran several speed tests....but now my Roku wont connect....already factory reset it.

Where do I go from here either fix it or refund my purchase. Clock starts now.

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: connection

@Casper777 

Thanks for the inquiry.

What model of device are you having issues with connecting to the network? Can you explain in greater detail what you are experiencing? 

For basic troubleshooting steps, please see our Support page here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Once you provide us with more information, we will able able to further assist you.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
RRRanch
Level 7

Re: Express Not connected to internet

I felt dismayed reading the lack of resolution for this problem. I finally got mine to work and want to tell you what I did. I hard reset the Roku and rebooted router and cable modem. I noticed that when the Roku connection failed, it showed that the wireless connection was excellent and gave the green check for that. Using my phone apps for wi fi analyzer and speedtest, I found that the wifi connection had pretty low throughput. Wi fi analyzer showed that better channels were available, and so I switched my wifi channel and that did the trick. The wifi throughput went from around 5Mbps to 40Mbps. TA-DA problem solved (for me anyway). My takeaway from this is that the wifi connection test could be improved from just pinging the router to evaluating the throughput.

Highlighted
Grafixx01
Level 8

Re: Express Not connected to internet

That is good. I think that the issue is that people are agrivated that Roku isn't doing anything and just leaving it up to the end users who buy their product to solve the issue. Roku hasn't even acknowledged the issue, or to my knowledge they haven't. And in all honesty, an end user should NOT have to reconfigure a wireless network for the thing to work. If I have multiple devices connected to the network via WiFi and they ALL are working perfectly fine, why should I have to change anything just because this device doesn't want to connect properly. 

In my post, I've stated that this is the third Roku device that I have. One connected wired and two wireless. This BRAND NEW Roku Express is the ONLY device that disconnects on its own at least once a week, has to be restarted and reset multiple times and is down for over an hour because of this ridiculous issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
raymonds
Level 8

More Express not connecting wireless issue

Boy did I do something stupid. After giving up because of lack of intelligent support here and returning an express+, I broke down last weekend and bought an Express. Why? A friend of mine brought hers over here. It connected perfectly to the wireless.

So, I go to connect the new one. Error 14.40. ****. NOTHING changed from when hers connected, to trying to connect the new one. NOTHING.

Right now I feel like I've thrown 30 bucks into the toilet. I don't want to hear, have you read this? Have you tried this? I've done it all. Can't anyone answer real technical questions about wireless security? I'm on WPA/WPA2, auto authenticate, auto encryption, WPS disabled, 11bg mixed mode, auto channel.

And I want to emphasize once again - when I brought a friends older Express over, it connected to the WiFi immediately.  What's the deal? Any good support here other than "read this article"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: More Express not connecting wireless issue

@raymonds 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Keep us posted with what you find out. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
raymonds
Level 8

Another canned answer. Apparently my post was not read in detail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Grafixx01
Level 8

@raymonds , change your wireless 2.4ghz radio to be on G mode ONLY. It lowers the throughput but is the ONLY way to get it to work since Roku won’t acknowledge the issue by taking their heads out of the sand and the ONLY way you and everyone else will stop getting the cookie cutter-no answer from @RokuDanny-R 

Highlighted
raymonds
Level 8

@Grafixx01, appreciate the tip. Unfortunately the only options I have on the router are 11bg mixed and 11 bgn mixed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
taymiktryb
Level 7

Roku Express connection issue

I have used my Roku Express in the bedroom since June 2018 and have never had connection issues. The other day while streaming Netflix, my connection was cut off. So I tried everything I could find online. Nothing has worked. The last thing I did was the factory reset but I've had no luck. No networks will show up so I have no idea what I should do next. It used to even show my neighbor's wifi network, but nothing now. My laptop, cellphone, etc. will connect from the same room so I know it just not too far away from the wifi box. I hope something will fix this! I haven't even had this Roku for two years, I shouldn't need to buy a new one. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos