Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spir0s
Level 8

Roku Express cannot find any WiFi networks

Hi All,

My Roku Express lost WiFi the other day.  When I tried to reconnect it couldn't see either of the two networks in my home.  I have tried the following steps to troubleshoot it but nothing has worked:

• Restart device
  • Enter WiFi SSID and password manually
  • Disconnect power cable, wait a few minutes and reconnect
  • Factory reset

I think that there is a fault with it but I cannot contact Roku via the website because they do not offer support for Roku Express.  How can I claim on warranty for a new one?

0 Kudos
20 Replies
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express cannot find any WiFi networks

I've run into this here several times.  This has always worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
0 Kudos
Davidhx
Level 8

Hi you are not the only one. I believe Roku have messed up and put out a buggy software update

Can you look under system menu and see what version you have?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Sudden-poor-Wifi-signal/m-p/638676#...

0 Kudos
Spir0s
Level 8

Tried all that and still no luck.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Do you know how to contact Roku about this?  Their website "Help" function leads to a dead end with no contact details

0 Kudos
Spir0s
Level 8

Thanks for replying.

I plugged the thing back in and because I factory reset it I cannot access any menus.  I am stuck on the setup screen because it can't find any wifi networks Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Davidhx
Level 8

Have you tried with it within a couple of meters of your WiFi router? Mine still works, gets a low signal and it is about 4 meters away. Obviously, if you can't get any signal you're not going to be able to get any future system update that may solve the problem. 

Roku must have a support email address, I don't know what it is though and with the cost of the device being low it may not be worthwhile contacting them. 

Spir0s
Level 8

I have had another look at it and placed it in a slightly different position near my TV.  It detected one of the two WiFi networks but with insufficient signal strength to connect to it.  My phone in the same room has full signal strength when connected to this network.  The WiFi router is just a few metres from the Roku but it barely detects it.

There is definitely something wrong with the Roku.  In the past I owned a previous version that had similar problems with WiFi detection and Roku contacted me directly via email to offer me a replacement because it was a known problem.  The device I am using now is that replacement and it seems to have suffered the same fate.  Could be a software issue but I wonder if software can diminish the network hardware's signal detection

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What channel is your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi using?  Rokus only support channels 1 through 11.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Davidhx
Level 8

Channel 1. 

It's not clashing with any other network, I've tried changing channels and no other device has an issue with poor signal. 

Do you know if it is normal to get a reading of 0 for antenna 2 in the wireless secret screen?

0 Kudos
Davidhx
Level 8

Access the 'wireless secret screen' by hitting the home button 5 times then up down up down up down up. 

What readings do you get?

0 Kudos