Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
common-uncommon
Level 8

Re: Roku Express+ can't find or connect to any wifi networks

Hi gang,

I decided to post an update about the situation in case anyone was interested or needed more help.

So, as it turns out, I ultimately still don’t know what the issue was with my Roku, or how to fix it if it were to happen again. The good news is, eventually my info was passed onto Roku customer support, and they emailed and offered to replace my device. After receiving the (refurbished) replacement device, I had to send my old one or risk being charged. So far the new one works great, I just hope I won’t have to end up back here for the same issue.

If you’d like actual suggestions on things to try with your device, I’d recommend sending a DM to the official Roku support page on twitter @RokuSupport. It does stiff baffle me that in order to get suggestions beyond turning it on and off again I have to use a third party app/account.

All in all, in happy with the new device for now. However, if I have another major issue like this in the future, it’s almost not worth going through the trouble of getting support assistance. Whoever commented about the FireStick, you might be on to something. I just hope their customer support is better.

0 Kudos
SJKenney
Level 7

I got an email titled: “Ticket # 4420128 is awaiting your response: Customer outreach - Sean Kenney” regarding this issue with not connecting to my wireless router and I am getting more frustrated by the minute. The e-mail has a response from John at Roku Support detailing the same exact troubleshooting instructions as I’ve already been through. I can’t find where to respond to this e-mail/support ticket so I’m doing it here and hope that Roku is going to do the right thing. Here is my reply to this support ticket:

Hello John,

I am an IT networking professional and yes I tried all of your suggestions and then some and it is obviously an issue with the Roku device, not my router or the wireless signal and here’s why:
1) the Roku device that is not working is only 15 feet from my router with a direct line of site, no obstructions;
2) I have the same exact model Roku on my TV upstairs (2nd Floor) that is 25 feet away from the router with walls and a stairwell and it’s signal is fine and it continues to work;
3) I have an older Roku in our bedroom 20 feet away from the router with walls in between and it’s signal is fine;
4) when I run my network diagnostics from my router the other 2 Roku devices are broadcasting and communicating fine and the broken Roku is nowhere to be found;
When I run your setup, side by side with our other Roku of the same model, the other Roku finds the network fine and the broken one doesn’t.

I provided my serial number, MAC address and other information in my post as requested but here is the information from my Roku again: 
Model: 3920X - Roku Premier 
Serial #: YH00AF046586
Software Version: 10.0.0 - Build 4195-91
Device ID: K4306A046586
MAC Address: 8C:49:62:E2:5B:BE

The wireless antenna or its interface into the device is clearly broken and I would like it replaced. It is less than a year old and seeing as this is clearly a broader problem, based on the number of people in the community who are reporting this problem, I would hope that Roku is going to take care of its customers. 
0 Kudos
Huntermike
Level 7

Same on my end too.My Express lost internet connection a week ago and I tried everything. I then plug my streaming stick in and that works? What happened to your Express units?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Huntermike

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos