Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hwy101man

How to fix Roku Express buffering problems

Jump to solution

Good Day, I have three Roku Express Model 3900X running SW 10.0.0 build 4209-51.  They all experience the same buffering issues where audio will be interrupted, and sometimes the picture will "reboot". This does happen on some channels more than others.

I have Xfinity internet and had a technician out yesterday checking signal levels and he made some changes to improve download speeds that are now more than 300mbs.  Signal strength to the three Rokus is "Excellent".  Before the tech left, he called his supervisor who told him Xfinity has seen this issue with other customers and that Roku may have a solution.  Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku Express buffering problems

Jump to solution

@hwy101man

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here:  How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@hwy101man

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here:  How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
htjr1

Jump to solution

I have two devices an roku express and a roku stick. I have connected both to the same TV, and internet. Only the roku express is buffering intermittent on any app I use. On the spectrum app, roku channel app, and others. The roku stick does not buffer at all on the same apps. There seem to be a problem or defect with the roku express serial # YG003L689714, version:10.0.0 build 4209-51. The roku stick which is working fine has a serial # 2LA4C6076854, version 10.0.0 build 4209-09. What can be done to resolve the roku-express issue. I can not use it any more because of the buffering and often it say it is not even connect to wi-Fi.  I have used the stick for a week straight no issues.  As soon as the express is connected it starts buffering.  So it is not my internet. It is the device. It seem a replacement is required. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@htjr1

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that buffering typically is related to wireless connectivity issues.

If you are experiencing issues with only your Roku Express device, I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here:  How to connect your Roku device to the internet using Wi-Fi® or Ethernet

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Shs
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Serial number s008299rxggw model 3930x

buffers while trying to watch shows. Software on roku is up to date. 
on spectrum 2.4 ghz

it didn’t buffer until recently

please advise

Sally Strong

sallyhall.healing@gmail.com

0 Kudos
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Shs,

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand that you are having an issue with your Roku device buffering while trying to watch shows. We'd like to know more about the issue you ran into. How are you powering your Roku device? Is the issue happening on all content or channels, or is it isolated to one content or channel? (Specify) Are you getting error messages or error codes when playing content? How far is your Roku device from your network router?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Warm regards,

Eunice 

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos