Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Express buffering and will not find 5G network, Streaming stick + working OK

I am having buffering issues with my Roku Express stick that I have not had before. Most recently noticeable with Amazon Prime. I am connected to my 2.4 Ghz network and connection lists as excellent. Trying to resolve this I wanted to switch to my 5 Ghz network, The stick will not recognize the 5Ghz network and I cannot type it in to connect. I reset the wireless network connections and rebooted with no change. The Streaming Stick + downstairs does not buffer and recognizes both the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks. The Roku express is model 3700 RW and software 9.2.0 build 4804-28. With the buffering issues and failure to recognize the 5Ghz network is it possible that the Express stick has simply started to wear out?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Express buffering and will not find 5G network, Streaming stick + working OK

Roku Express is 2.4GHz only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Roku Express buffering and will not find 5G network, Streaming stick + working OK

@rehmann  Thanks for reaching out. As @renojim mentioned, Roku Express models are not compatible with 5GHz wireless networks. They are only compatible with 2.4GHz wireless b/g/n networks. 

Does this buffering occur in other channels on your device, such as YouTube, Netflix, The Roku Channel, etc. or are you only seeing this issue in the Amazon Prime Video channel? 

We'd recommend trying to change the wireless broadcast channel on your 2.4 GHz wireless network to one that is not in use by any other nearby networks. This may help reduce any wireless interference that could be occurring. If the issue you're experiencing isn't occurring in any other channels, it could be an issue within the channel provider's content delivery systems that provide content to the channel (app). In that case, you'd want to contact the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional assistance. Amazon develops their channel directly, and would be able to best assist with any questions or issues you may encounter. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It appears the Roku Express Stick was wearing out. The buffering issued appeared recently and only on this device. I upgraded to the Streaming Stick + for this TV and the buffering has completely stopped. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

You are 100% incorrect with this information. I have 3 Roku expresses and have had them for over 7 years. Until about an hour ago all were able to connect to 5GHz band. It suddenly stopped working and Roku needs to fix it. Their phone support is AWOL blaming it on cov19. Nice!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

What is the model number of these 3 "expresses"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

3900X - Roku Express - Software Version 9.3.0. Build 4170-51

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Something doesn't add up here.  The 3900 came out in 2017, not 7 years ago, and it was not dual-band.  I'm sorry for saying it, but I think you're confusing different model Rokus.

0 Kudos