Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
wardworld
Level 7

Roku Express and No 5G

I've looked through the various forums, but I'm coming up empty so I thought I'd throw this out here:
New Roku Express (3900x) - will only "see" my 2.4Ghz network which is too slow for proper playback (the Roku even says so itself).
I logged into my router and changed the SSID to both a low station (36) and a high one (157) - neither time could it find my 5 ghz network.

A couple of questions: 

1. Does the Roku Express even support 5Ghz (some forum posts said no)?

2. If it DOES support 5ghz, is there something else I should try?
Thanks,

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku Express and No 5G

See here:
https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express

Don't think it supports 5Ghz.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
wardworld
Level 7

Yeah, I kind of ruled out any other reasons why I couldn't get it to work other than an act of God to make it 5ghz compatible
Thanks,
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

I have 5 Roku Expresses scattered throughout my 3400 sq ft home with double-paned storm windows and doors, including one in the farthest corner of the garage and another on a wall mount outside by the pool. None of them have any issue streaming anything through my Arris wifi cable modem that sits on top of the entertainment center in the family room at the back of the house. 2.4ghz band works fine for me.
0 Kudos
DouginTucson
Level 7

I found the specs page for Roku Express and it says it receives an 802.11bgn single band wifi signal. When I Googled that to see what it means, I got this result:

"802.11bgn Wi-Fi routers are single band. This means they support only the 2.4 GHz band."

So that tells me that our Roku Express antennas will not receive the 5.0 GHz signal from our modem/router that is putting out both a 2.4 and 5.0 signal. Here's hoping the 2.4 works well enough.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@DouginTucson wrote:

I found the specs page for Roku Express and it says it receives an 802.11bgn single band wifi signal. When I Googled that to see what it means, I got this result:

"802.11bgn Wi-Fi routers are single band. This means they support only the 2.4 GHz band."

So that tells me that our Roku Express antennas will not receive the 5.0 GHz signal from our modem/router that is putting out both a 2.4 and 5.0 signal. Here's hoping the 2.4 works well enough.

That is correct. Single band devices only work on 2.4 GHz. However, virtually all recent wireless devices support at least 802.11N, which is in theory capable of speeds in excess of 100 Mbps. No Internet streaming service streams much higher that 16-20 Mbps. Unless you are streaming from a personal device on your network, and those streams are full 4K UHD Blu Ray rips, you'll be just fine. The only noticeable improvements you get with 5 GHz are faster speed and less interference. And as I said, in most cases the speed is immaterial. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos