Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SDU
Level 7

Roku Express Not Recognizing HDMI port/cable on 11 yr old TV

My Roku Express is not recognizing HDMI port/cable on TV that is 11 yrs old.  Tried Roku on another TV and it worked.  Wondering if I should return and purchase another type of Roku for the older model TV.  TV is a 2011 Panasonic Model TC-P60ST30.  Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Strega
Level 15

Re: Roku Express Not Recognizing HDMI port/cable on 11 yr old TV

Did you try a different port?  (Also re-seating the connector, maybe blowing dust out of it - HDMI connectors can be a little fidgety sometimes.)

My TV is older than yours and current Rokus work on it.

0 Kudos
SDU
Level 7

Yes, I tried the other ports as well as blowing the dust out of the port.  Still nothing. 

0 Kudos
SDU
Level 7

Yes, I tried the other ports as well as blowing the dust out.  Still nothing.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Before I recently upgraded to a new 4K LG set, I had a Panasonic ST30 plasma, same as yours. I've never owned an Express, but my previous Roku players (Roku 2 XS, 4 and Ultra) had no issues with it. Also had an Nvidia Shield connected as well, again without a problem. 

Test the Express on a different TV, and if it works there, then it's the Panny.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
SDU
Level 7

I tried it on my other TV and it worked.  Thinking of upgrading to a newer tv.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@SDU wrote:

I tried it on my other TV and it worked.  Thinking of upgrading to a newer tv.

Yeah, while the Panasonic plasma is a good looking set, the ST30 was the base model at its time, and not the barn burner for image quality like the Pioneer Kuro sets were. I first upgraded mine to a Samsung NU7100, but was extremely disappointed in its HDR performance. I gave that TV to my daughter and bought the LG Nano85. Every good HDR, supports Dolby Vision, and does a great job upscaling 1080 material to 4K. Of course, if you went with a TV like that I would recommend picking up a 4K Roku player, such as the new Express+ 4K player that was just released. And if you do get a TV that supports Dolby Vision, the Ultra 4800 is the only player with DV support.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

@SDU wrote:

Yes, I tried the other ports as well as blowing the dust out of the port.  Still nothing. 

Do you have any other devices that connect via HDMI that you can try on that TV?  You've already demonstrated that the Roku works okay.  Connecting another known working device to the TV should show you whether the TV's HDMI port is working or not.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos