Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HannahMC00
Level 7

Roku Express Ethernet

I have seen there is ethernet adapters for Chrome cast and fire stick - Are these supported by the Roku express?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Roku Express Ethernet

"HannahMC00" wrote:
I have seen there is ethernet adapters for Chrome cast and fire stick - Are these supported by the Roku express?

No. Roku Express doesn't even have USB ports (except for the micro port for power).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

"trekkeriii" wrote:
"HannahMC00" wrote:

No. Roku Express doesn't even have USB ports (except for the micro port for power).

Neither the Chromecast or the  Fire Tv stick have ethernet ports, you unplug the fire tv micro USB power supply, and plug in an ethernet dongle into the micro usb power input.
 At the other end of the dongle is an ethernet socket, and a micro usb socket ( for power)
 The Fire TV stick uses a (forked/customised) version of Android which has the required drivers for some USB accesories ( mouse/keyboard/ethernet dongle etc) Roku firmware, from what I understand lacks these drivers so the dongle wouldnt work, other than as a short power extension lead - if that.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"2pints" wrote:
"trekkeriii" wrote:
"HannahMC00" wrote:

Neither the Chromecast or the  Fire Tv stick have ethernet ports, you unplug the fire tv micro USB power supply, and plug in an ethernet dongle into the micro usb power input.
 At the other end of the dongle is an ethernet socket, and a micro usb socket ( for power)
 The Fire TV stick uses a (forked/customised) version of Android which has the required drivers for some USB accesories ( mouse/keyboard/ethernet dongle etc) Roku firmware, from what I understand lacks these drivers so the dongle wouldnt work, other than as a short power extension lead - if that.

True, but they were designed and built that way. The Roku players weren't. Since Roku uses a customized version of Linux, it's not comparable to Fire TV or Chromecast from an OS point of view. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos