Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgrace
Roku Guru

Re: Roku will not connect to wireless

@RC1 

Have you tried disabling password for wifi in your router, until things connect? 

"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
stevejanice123
Reel Rookie

I am having a similar issue.  My Roku was working just fine and now, not only will it not connect to my network, but it's stuck in an endless loop of looking for a wireless network, unable to connect, reboot the device, only to start right back up with 'looking for a wireless network'.  I can't even find out what software fix was pushed out to my device, but based on memory it was some time in mid-late Dec.  Everything was working fine until the latest sw upgrade was pushed out and now I'm completely dead.  All other devices are working fine - I have a linksys distributed mesh network with plenty of coverage throughout my house.  the node closest to the Roku hasn't moved, so it's absolutely in the software.  Last night, prior to the present lock up, I was actually able to reset the unit.  I was able to restart the network connection.  The network connection worked, only to have it crash again.  I'm ready to throw this into my driveway and run over it with my truck.

stevejanice123

Gemini524

I too have the same Linsys router and 2 Roku premieres and suddenly neither will connect

0 Kudos
jaredcasper
Reel Rookie

Re: November Update - Wireless Connection Issue

Bump for this issue, or very similar issues. My Roku Premiere+ that worked fine up until the November update has trouble connecting to the network and when it does randomly connect it has "Poor" signal strength and low performance.  Phones, other streaming devices, etc. placed in the exact location have excellent wifi signal and performance.  It is about 5 feet from the access point with nothing but air in between.  Rebooting everything, switching channels, moving it around, and all the other suggestions on the site do not change anything.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Gemini524 @stevejanice123 @jaredcasper 

Thanks for the inquiry.

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Can you please answer the following so I can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:
- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express and Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with the above information, your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Wayneb

For what it's worth,...

I purchased a Roku Express + for a Christmas gift and configured it at the time with a Linksys WRT 3200ACM.  It worked just fine using the default settings for the 2.4 Ghz side back in October when purchased.  Wrapped it up and gave it away last week with the WRT3200.  Hooked it up this week and connects but drops the connection within seconds.  Tried resetting connection multiple times but same result.  Set up a test network with an older Netgear WPN824 using 802.11g default settings and everything worked like a charm using the same WPA2 Personal settings as on the Linksys.  Tried several changes on the Linksys WRT3200 and ultimately came up with a winning solution.

By default the Linksys was set on the 2.4 Ghz side to wifi mode as mixed and channel width as Auto.  Set the 2.4 Ghz side wifi mode to 802.11g only with the channel width set to 20 Mhz only.  Working like a charm! 

FYI,... updated the Roku os after getting everything to work and retried the Linksys default settings,... no Go!  When back to the 2.4 Ghz side wifi mode to 802.11g only with the channel width set to 20 Mhz only.  Still working like a charm! 

stevejanice123
Reel Rookie

Update:  for my linksys velop mesh network, I created a guest account rather than just the secure access accounts.  this worked!  So odd, but now everything is working just fine.  I was required to re-register my Roku device, but all is good now

0 Kudos
Grafixx01
Streaming Star

@Wayneb This should not be a solution. For two reasons:

1. When using the Roku devices that can transmit on Wireless N or better, changing the signal down to G gives slower throughput.

2. Moreover, changing the wireless signal to G also now has an affect on EVERYTHING connecting to your wireless network and if you have N or AC devices, they are all now dropping down to G speeds.

This is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE that Roku will not fix the issue.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Grafixx01 

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Vossll

Re: Roku Express Error code 14.40

Hello, 

I'm having the same problem. Can someone please help?

0 Kudos