Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnMaring

Roku Express Error code 14.40

My Roku Express was working fine.  I then left town for a month, and now I keep getting "Error code 14.40".  They say this error is about the password for the wireless network being incorrect, but it hasn't changed.  I have re-entered the password, but still get "Error code 14.40" most of the time.  All my other devices (Google Home, Alexa) work find with the wireless network, as the password hasn't changed.  Something must have changed on the Roku Express.  The only way I can connect is changing the wireless network to OPEN (no password).

HELP!

Labels (2)
49 REPLIES 49
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Express Error code 14.40

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into. 

- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JohnMaring

Thanks

- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
I haven't changed the channel.  It is set to AUTO.  If I simply change the Wifi network to OPEN (no password), then the Roku connects.  Once again the password hasn't changed, and my other devices in the same room are able to connect.

- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
The Rokus (yes I have two with the same problem) haven't moved.  Once is 10 feet from the router and has great signal strength.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your response!

Feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About and I'll get you in touch with our support team for more assistance.

Thanks,
Danny
Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
LC1

I have a similar problem after changing the network name.  Roku Ultra finds the new network name but will not accept the password which is the same as the old one.   Roku ultra  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LC1 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device. Alternately, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot.  If you are able to connect without issue, this usually indicates an issue with your network or password. In that case, you might also try changing your network password (avoid using any special characters from your wireless network password) to see if that resolves the connection issue. 

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RC1
Reel Rookie

Roku will not connect to wireless

Roku express refuses to connect to wifi.  Error code is 14:40 which indicates a failure in the login.   

I have tried the following to resolve this issue:

• Double checked login password and verified the correct password through my router
  • unplugged roku for reset
  • restarted wireless router along with roku
  • Did factory reset on roku.

Factory reset works to the point that I can connect to the wireless but as it attempts to update session hangs and eventually requests to log back in.  Then process starts all over again.

Please do not refer to the trouble shooting connectivity guide.  This does not address the issues.  It appears that Roku has pushed a fix that has broken some wifi connections for some users.

RC1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku will not connect to wireless

I have two roku expresses and a TCL with built in roku.  The second roku is now exhibiting the same behavior as the first.  This all started when the rokus where rebooted.  SInce that time they have not been able to connect to the wifi.  I am guessing a software update pushed out is what is causing this issue.  Once the rokus reboot the software is installed and the issues begin.  

0 Kudos
RC1
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku will not connect to wireless

Roku Express 3900

Roku Premiere 3920

Router is Linksys WRT3200ACM

0 Kudos
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@JohnMaring @LC1 I just wanted to check in here and see if you were able to clear up the issue, or if you're still encountering difficulties getting connected. If so, please reply with the make and model of wireless router that you are using, more details about your network configuration, if possible. If you haven't already, I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to another wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you are able to successfully connect. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos